Becoming a training centre

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Granted, this is an electrical forum, but there are folk from all paths here so worth a shot.

At work, we are contemplating setting up a training centre to teach courses like BS7671: regs, PAT, Initial inspect & Test, etc, etc And also some of the easy hits like CSCS.

Looking on t'interweb and enquiring with relevant parties (C&G, EAL, Logic, etc) has just left us baffled. None seem to want to tell you the full story. Most seem to require that you have quals in being a trainer, Assessor and IQA but none really state what level of qual is acceptable. Some seem to allow 1 person to do it all if need be, Others say there can be some roll sharing while C&G say no person can do 2 roles.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced the setup or requirements of such an adventure?

Any info would be welcomed, thanks

Hi as long you are not thinking of setting up near me, I don't mind giving you some advice :).

Before I go on please can you do one thing.... do not offer those crappy course packages that most training providers offer normally called Domestic installer or Part P. They are purely cash cows and help no one apart from the business man up the top.

For manpower (very minimum), you need at least one person who is qualified to teach (Level 5 DTLLS, Cert Ed) and Assess (Level 3 A1 award or equivalent). You will also need at least one other person to carry out Internal Quality Assurance (level 4 IQA award of V1). Both of these guys should have a minimum of Level 3 in Electrotechnical technology or equivalent and experience in the industry.

I have been running my training centre for almost 3 years and previous to that I worked in FE Colleges for about 6 years, which included Assessing, Lecturing and Managing an Electrical teaching team. It's obviously tough to start like most businesses, you have to commit yourself to renting a premises so you'll have large overheads from day 1 and this is before you can get approved with a qualification body.

I will say though that its no easy or quick way to make money, It has taken me almost three years to start breaking even on a monthly basis and give me a half decent wage, which still doesn't match my last income. I have had to beg, steel and borrow to keep the business going, I have some debts (personal and business) that I did not count for and have had plenty of sleepless night. Saying that I'm now confident that I have got through the hard times and because of my online awareness is slowly increasing, I am getting a steady flow of students.

So far though it's the been the best move I ever made, financially it's been a huge struggle, but it's been hugely rewarding watching people qualify who may not have had the opportunity in the first place. I never find myself moaning on a Sunday evening because I have work the next day, because I enjoy what I do so much and I think that is an essential quality to have.

Let me know if I can help anymore

Neil