Old to new

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papio

Reaction score
Just found out the old storage heaters in my property contain asbestos but even if they didn't I'd want shot of them anyway.

I'm installing infrared panel heating instead and looking for a remotely accessible, possibly zoned, programable thermostat but the plethora of information is mind boggling, most of it saying smart thermostats are only for central heating.

Can anyone recommend a good thermostat that meets my requirements and works with electrical heating systems. I'll be having an actual tradesman install all the wiring but don't want to end up paying for something 2nd rate.

Thanks

Colin

I am not sure you choice of heating is a wise one.

Storage hearters, for all their ills, heat a room by convection.  What you are proposing is radiant heaters. I have been in a workplace that was heated by them, and you are warm if you are in front of one, but otherwise they don't really heat the fabric of the building.

Theold heater is probably fine to use, the problem only comes when you take it apart. What make and model are they? Are there no other options, oil or gas for instance to get a decent heating system?

My understanding is that infrared heaters only acting heat an object not air as such, hence why they are used in car spraying. This is comparable to what our Dave is saying, they only heat you is you are in front of them. 

Who recommended these infrared heaters? 

You'd be better off using something like the Electrorad Aeroflow heaters 

Holy hell, I don't remember the make and model, I identified them though a photo and then found them on the register of asbestos filled storage heaters.

I own a single panel heater for my bedroom to test effectiveness and unlike my storage heaters it's almost instant heat and heats the room to sweatbox levels fairly quickly, I'm not choosing my heating at random or by advertisement. 

I know you think you're helping but I asked a fairly specific question and so far my answers are, what heaters? and can't you install central heating?

Holy hell, I don't remember the make and model, I identified them though a photo and then found them on the register of asbestos filled storage heaters.

I own a single panel heater for my bedroom to test effectiveness and unlike my storage heaters it's almost instant heat and heats the room to sweatbox levels fairly quickly, I'm not choosing my heating at random or by advertisement. 

I know you think you're helping but I asked a fairly specific question and so far my answers are, what heaters? and can't you install central heating?
For your very specific question,

No, I can't recommend a good thermostat for a 2nd rate heating system,

Storage heaters containing asbestos are pretty old now, check to see if your ones are on this  List.

Psst! Duck that links to stroma test equipment???!

Taking the Piss now,,,

:shakehead