Unusual central heating boost switch

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So a customer has a house as a holiday let.  He used to find the gusts put the heating on 24/7 and then left it like that when they left heating an empty house until the cleaner came in a few days later. So he had the heating programmer moved into a locked cupboard. Now they complain the house is cold.

So he wants to leave the programmer in the locked cupboard and have an accessible boost switch to put the heating on for an hour or 2.

The best I can come up with is an immersion heater boost timer, the little Horstman things that do 1/2, 1 or 2 hour boost.

Depending how the heating controls are wired and whether it's a combi or conventional boiler, it might need the boost timer to switch a relay to give a volt free contact to integrate into the existing controls.

Anyone got a better suggestion?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave, on another note, a friend of mine is buying a flat in Edinburgh and wants me to do some work there. Now some of us might know that there is no part P in Scotland. What hoops might I have to jump through? Don't know the extent of electrical works, if any, just want to be prepared.

The immersion heater timers are one shot so that's okay.

Re working in Scotland, Yes there is no phart mc phee here.  BUT if you intend doing a full rerwire on a flat, you will need a building warrant.  Simple alterations and / or new circuits are okay though. (same applies to a 3 or more storey house)

Otherwise just do the work and usual EIC or MWC.

I've wired a retractive switch to a multifunction timer (DIN rail type) for a downflow heater... push the button and get 15mins of heat... keep it pushed and you still only get 15mins of heat.....

It worked a treat :)