Limp tail?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Essex1

No Longer Here
Reaction score
My 13 month old Rottweiler has developed a limp tail. It does not do anything. When he sits he also sits slightly to one side. Noticed it yesterday. 

Anything to worry about?

Not noticed any signs of pain. I can touch it but he is not completely comfirtable with that. 

Obv see what @Apache has to say when he comes along, but if it was my dog I would keep a close eye on it for the next day or two.

If there's no improvement/it's gets worse/he showes sign of being in pain take him to the vet for a check up. 

Have you had him in the water.

Dogs can develop a condition called ' Labrador's tail' by using their  tail as a rudder for prolonged periods in water.

It usually clears up in a few days, but it is usually uncomfortable for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok. So looks like a condition called 'water tail' which @ruston has mentioned. He actually hates water and has not been swimming but it is not unique to swimming apparently. Over waging can also cause this to happen. The vet also noted him lame on his left rear and sore above his tail when touched. 

Anti-inflammatories, rest and time. 

At at least nothing serious. A lot of people comment as it is still quite unusual to see a Rottweiler with a tail so I am glad it will be wagging away again in a week or so.