20mA RCD for sockets

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Essex1

No Longer Here
Reaction score
So it turns out NwR have a specific standard stating that all socket circuits must be protected by a 20mA RCD. 

What do you lot think about this?  What is the point?  Do you think a 20mA RCD would comply with the regulation for limiting disruption?

Ah you are being deceived, as with anything on the railways they base everything on delays therefore what they call 20ma interprets  to what we know as 30ma. !!! Therefore their 20ma will not trip until 30ma is reached. 

Ah you are being deceived, as with anything on the railways they base everything on delays therefore what they call 20ma interprets  to what we know as 30ma. !!! Therefore their 20ma will not trip until 30ma is reached. 

No I think I've got that wrong? Their excuse is 'disruptive' therefore when the RCD trips they wi naturally blame the wrong kind of electric, thus preventing unnecessarily  use of electric. :C  

You sure it isn't a typo on their part Essex?

I have heard of 10mA RCDs

Who pays the piper calls the tune

I still think it a typo from the original spec, but it seems everyone has been playing along, so far.

Def not a typo. In a lot of boards across multiple sites. 

Complaining of nuisance tripping on this particular station?  Go figure. 

20mA used to be used on areas of enhanced fire risk under what is now DSEAR from what I can tell, because that is the only place I have come across them.

They might have been under M&Q regs but I've never worked to them.

They are a pain in the proverbial.

Get the leakage tracked down & remedied, then strongly recommend that you swap out the DB's for 30 mA RCBO's that way, no further mass outages for leakage or faults on a single circuit.

TBH, I'm amazed that NwR & LUG don't mandate individual RCBO's, & minimal use of RCD's where possible.

20mA used to be used on areas of enhanced fire risk under what is now DSEAR from what I can tell, because that is the only place I have come across them.

They might have been under M&Q regs but I've never worked to them.

They are a pain in the proverbial.

Get the leakage tracked down & remedied, then strongly recommend that you swap out the DB's for 30 mA RCBO's that way, no further mass outages for leakage or faults on a single circuit.

TBH, I'm amazed that NwR & LUG don't mandate individual RCBO's, & minimal use of RCD's where possible.

20mA for M&Q in gaseous mines LV lighting could be right but the RCCD,s were in the gate end 550/110V transformer housing. I’ll ask some ex miners I know, it could take a while mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only place I have come across them was a petrol tanker repair facility, which was fully "Ex", but, then decommissioned down to BS 7671.

However the original kit was still there.

Including 20mA RCD's

Railway spec require 20mA and must be DC immune within 30mtr of any running rail/track

Railway spec require 20mA and must be DC immune within 30mtr of any running rail/track

If you look at the date of the original post and hover over the OP's name you can see this is an old thread and the person starting it hasn't been here since July 2016. There is little constructive point in trawling up old posts in such situations. So this particular topic in now closed.

Doc H.

Status
Not open for further replies.