Type of cable to match 6mm SWA?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PSDAVE

Reaction score
HI Team
Looking for some advice, reading up on running cable to outiside to a garag unit.
Now I understand that using 6mm 3 core SWA outside just makes sence, and terminating direct into garage CU and into a IP65 rated plastic box on the wall box outside the house using one of the cores as CPC, and banjos to earth the swa both ends

My question is this now the SWA has a 6mm CPC as one core is used, Now the cable is to big and not bendy enough to use inside the house to connect to the inside consumer unit.??

So what cable would you guys connect to the 6MM 3core in the junction box inside the house to the CU.???

Look forward to your answers.

Depends if there is bonding required to extraneous conductive parts in the garage I suppose.

Metal or plastic CU in house?

Hi folks no extrenuouse conductive parts in the garage.
Not sure what you mean blue duck 6419?

How did you bend the 25mm 4 core around the corners of the house?
and throught the main wall then at a right angle, struggling to see hwo i could get it in the wall and then ??

I agree with the unecessary connection. 
Wish i could run the swa right throug from garage cu to main cu, but it comes from outside underground, 

then into the house through a 450mm wall, then ...

I understand you should nt bend this stuff no more than 6 times its diameter, so how did you get it in the wall and to cu??

dba085364f8afaacbd05fc86343fcdbd.jpeg.56b0da0ddc77ff4fcfb5bee12c341a33.jpeg

???

Still not sure what the questionis?

Sure looks like your all having a good old think about it. Yes like they are.

Yes looks a great connetion type in the image above.

So are you saying i could use the 3 core SWA, with the STEEL WIRED ARMOUR BIT TAKEN OFF OF THE 450MM WALL SIZE SO I CAN BEND IT AROUND the wall 

then run the rest with the steel wire still on chased in wall direct to CU??

IS This the best way? or is there an alternative cable i could connect to the SWA ON THE outside.

Yes the pirana nuts look a much better way of connection..

So are you all agreed to just continue the SWA direct into the house via the wall and direc to the CU?

Give us a clue! 

Layout diagram please. 

Are you talking about running around the outside of the building with swa? 

What wall is cu located on, internal or external? 

HI Sharpend.

So Garage is 8 meters away from main house. 6mm 3 cores SWA runing underground then coming up into a juction box on wall.

Then that wall is the exterior of the house. The wall is 4500mm thick. then inside the wall 5 meters then a 90% angle to the wall with the CU another 2 meters away.