What browser ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm getting sick & tired of Firefox running slow and showing the  " Script is not running "  box   or the Firefox is running slow box  or freezing up  .    This PC used to run quickly ,   it shouldn't be the Broadband as we are supposed to have BT     Warp Factor 9.5  here .  

I've refreshed every other day this week .

It used to be fine , not so sure now.

Looking at 4 mins to load the Forum , say. 

I tried Opera a couple of months ago , it runs at a blistering pace  but threw my PC into confusion  and stuff dissapeared.

I worry about replacing the browser , don't know if I'll lose stuff or what .

I was thinking about Safari  , is that OK. Anyone use that ?

I have Google Chrome , missus uses it as a search engine ,  that can be a browser can't it ?   

Any advice ?

Qpera used to be a great browser, but my old version was having trouble with some sites, most notably gumtree and internet banking, so I upgraded to the latest version of Opera. That was rubbish. It kept telling me "this page has crashed" when using the on line banking, and it BSOD'd the computer twice so I ditched it.

Like you I'm "putting up"  with firefox. It's very resource hungry, particularly the amount of memory it needs (and this old puter doesn't have much)

One thing that annoys me about FF is it keeps telling me it has "blocked the outdated Adobe flash player"  You click the "allow and remember" button and it "allows" but it bloody well does NOT remember and will ask you again next time.  And if you check for updates, I have the latest version of Adobe.

I don't like google chrome for all the spyware it has. I keep meaning to try chromium that is the browser it's based on but without googles spyware built into it.

You don't have to delete FF if you try another browser, there's nothing to stop you having several to try.

If you find a better one let us know, as truth is I haven't been bothered to try alternatives yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any recommendation then , if Safari doesn't like Windows ,  I'll not try Opera again , I was on Internet Explorer to start with , changed to Firefox & thought it was great but not now. 

Just checked BT broadband speed   Download = 48.82 Mb/s ................Upload  =  8.91 Mb/s

I hate this being spied on by Google etc ,    You can tell ,   I buy a DVD on Amazon  ...next thing  theres an advert for similar  on Youtube .

What about Duck Duck ? 

I was re thinking ths browser issue and doing some searching. There is indeed not a lot of choice for windoze. However I stumbled across an odd ball browser that I am trialing, and so far so good, so I will mention it here.

It's called Lunascape. you can download it from http://www.lunascape.tv/products/win/orion/default.aspx

It's called a "tripple engine" browser. that means it can use the  Trident (internet explorer) Gecko (firefox) or Webkit  engine, and you cam select which one globally or per tab.

There are a few issues with it however. when you install it, it has to download the Gecko and Webkit engines. It totally refused to even start downloading the Gecko engine so I don't have that. It took 3 tried to download the Webkit engine, it kept getting to about 90% and then hanging. but having got ther Webkit engine to download I am using it with that.

One other "bug", trying to import my favourites from firefox, it tells me it can't do that because firefox is open (which it is not) so that's a pain as well.

BUT the good news is it seems to be working. Everything I have tried so far works, and it is a LOT faster and less resource hungry than firefox.

I won't be deleting firefox but I am going to run with lunascape for a while and give it a fair trial.

I have been using firefox for years, never had a problem as such.

Have you tried deleting it completely then re installing it?

Don't forget there are also addition add ons and plugins you can have (all free) I only have a couple (Pc chose them, not me)  I have an add on, spell checker, web tuner, add blocker. That's it. all works fine and fast.

As far as I can tell the "webkit" engine that I am currently using in Lunascape, is what Safari is based on. So if you want Safari on a PC, this is as close as you will get.

duck duck is very minimal, so blisteringly fast,

I use it sometimes,

BUT, it will NOT play most videos natively, so I'd say not for you Deke @Evans Electric

It needs a load of messing about for videos to work, mine still doesn't work 100%

Try chromium, its pretty good for me,

Okay, first "issue" with Lunascape.

I tried to log on to my Gumtree account. That uses a captcha thng to prove you are a human. Instead of the captcha image for me to read and type in, it says "sorry unsupported browser"  So I can't use it for anything that uses captcha.

OK   I'm taking all this on board .

Thanks Stepps with the Duck Duck thing ....yes I play music videos a lot  & capture favouites if they're not protected so not Duckynet then .

Canoey says Safari is good on OSx  .  Is that an operating system that is NOT Windows ?

Made a note of Vivaldi  ( He must have chucked in the music business after his Four Seasons and gone into software)

I'm finding Chrome works most reliably on Windows 10.  And If you don't like Google tracking you you are stuffed whatever you do on the internet with any 'non-hacker' browser. . 

I'm getting sick & tired of Firefox running slow and showing the  " Script is not running "  box   or the Firefox is running slow box  or freezing up  .    This PC used to run quickly ,   it shouldn't be the Broadband as we are supposed to have BT     Warp Factor 9.5  here .  

I've refreshed every other day this week .

It used to be fine , not so sure now.

Looking at 4 mins to load the Forum , say. 

I tried Opera a couple of months ago , it runs at a blistering pace  but threw my PC into confusion  and stuff dissapeared.

I worry about replacing the browser , don't know if I'll lose stuff or what .

I was thinking about Safari  , is that OK. Anyone use that ?

I have Google Chrome , missus uses it as a search engine ,  that can be a browser can't it ?   

Any advice ?

Perform a broadband speed test and verify you are getting the speed you are paying for.

Any browser I use does exatly what I want it to do. Browse websites. Not quite sure what else anyone would want from a browser to be honest. 

Any browser I use does exatly what I want it to do. Browse websites. Not quite sure what else anyone would want from a browser to be honest. 
If it does that on EVERY website you try, and it never hangs up and never says "not responding" and never says "this page has crashed" then you have indeed found the ideal browser. Clearly you are NOT using firefox.

I have two browsers on the go and I can show you web pages that only work on one of them, so both are needed.

Opera works well for me.
What version? I updated my old version 12 which used to work fine (but was not supporting some more recent websies) to the latest version 6 months ago, and ir was dire, in particular it just would not work with RBS on line banking.