Hot tub wiring

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee0316

Reaction score
Hi all

Have recently "qualified" as an electrician and a friend of the family has asked me to set up external wiring for them to have a hot tub in their garden.

Distance from the house is 14m and the hot tub has a 2kw heater with 2 pumps producing around 50w each.

Would I be right in doing a spur of the kitchen ring via a DP switch out to an IP rated socket outlet?

Wiring will either be enclosed in PVC conduit or SWA (depends on price)

All comments welcome :)

"The UK's Friendliest Electrical Forum".   :slap

Last edited by a moderator:
maybe ask those where you done your course for a refund?
Yeah thanks for the smart comment. You know what they say, if you can't say anything nice!!

maybe its something like the lay-z-spa that's just a plug in jobbie?
Yes it's a lay-z-spa, so plug and play.

My question is can I come of a ring like a spur to an IP socket or is it best to run something similar to a sub main for a garage and put it on it's own MCB?

Thanks for you input :)

im not the one claiming to be a sparky then asking basic questions that you should know the answer to.. if they didnt teach you stuff like that on whatever course you done to be 'qualified' then what else didnt they teach you?

Yeah thanks for the smart comment. You know what they say, if you can't say anything nice!!

Yes it's a lay-z-spa, so plug and play.

My question is can I come of a ring like a spur to an IP socket or is it best to run something similar to a sub main for a garage and put it on it's own MCB?

Thanks for you input :)
So lee, why don't you give us a little of your knowledge and understanding as to how you think it could/should be done and more importantly why/how you've reached that decision. It would help us to help you be a more rounded spark, by your own admission you are newly qualified and as we al know the learning doesn't stop there. 

Hi all

Have recently "qualified" as an electrician and a friend of the family has asked me to set up external wiring for them to have a hot tub in their garden.

Distance from the house is 14m and the hot tub has a 2kw heater with 2 pumps producing around 50w each.

Would I be right in doing a spur of the kitchen ring via a DP switch out to an IP rated socket outlet?

From the information given I could work out the volt drop calcs for a 2kw load over 14m length to start getting an idea of what sort of cable size may be needed had I been running direct back to the consumer unit. But without more information about the ring characteristics you are considering spurring off, such as what is the existing load on the ring, protective device, Zs at the point your connecting onto. How will the proposed extension alter the overall circuit characteristics, etc, etc. It is difficult to be precise, but my gut instinct is that spurring off the kitchen ring is probably not a wise design consideration. How long does the heater on this tub take to get to full temperature, I presume if staring from cold it could be drawing max current for a reasonable duration. How is this loading on the ring balanced with other loads around the ring if the customer also happens to have the dishwasher running and a few other kitchen appliances doing some food whilst waiting for the tub to warm up?  This is where your diversity considerations have to be applied. What other large appliances are on the kitchen ring, or is there a separate utility circuit with all the laundry appliances. Please give us more of your calculations and others may be able to help with suggestions and tips as to the cheapest options to meet volt drop, disconnection times, Zs etc. without overloading the existing wiring.

Doc H.    

From the information given I could work out the volt drop calcs for a 2kw load over 14m length to start getting an idea of what sort of cable size may be needed had I been running direct back to the consumer unit. But without more information about the ring characteristics you are considering spurring off, such as what is the existing load on the ring, protective device, Zs at the point your connecting onto. How will the proposed extension alter the overall circuit characteristics, etc, etc. It is difficult to be precise, but my gut instinct is that spurring off the kitchen ring is probably not a wise design consideration. How long does the heater on this tub take to get to full temperature, I presume if staring from cold it could be drawing max current for a reasonable duration. How is this loading on the ring balanced with other loads around the ring if the customer also happens to have the dishwasher running and a few other kitchen appliances doing some food whilst waiting for the tub to warm up?  This is where your diversity considerations have to be applied. What other large appliances are on the kitchen ring, or is there a separate utility circuit with all the laundry appliances. Please give us more of your calculations and others may be able to help with suggestions and tips as to the cheapest options to meet volt drop, disconnection times, Zs etc. without overloading the existing wiring.

Doc H.    
Thanks for replying Doc Hudson. All valid points and glad you are interested in helping and not abusing me for my limited knowledge.

There is existing power running out to the garden to a shed where a tumble dryer is located and the new place of the proposed lay-z-spa. The existing run was done badly and needs replacement before connecting anything.

I know I have to do volt drop calcs and choose an appropriate cable to handle the expected load. My first stop was here as a sounding board to see if I was on the right road so to speak before I did anything else.

The spa/hot tub is a plug in appliance and therefore can't be more than 13A so it is similar to having a 2kw oven which according to the regs can be connected to a kitchen ring and since there is already an extra load connected to the ring via the tumble dryer I couldn't see and issues. There hasn't been any overloads or nuiscence tripping faults on the circuit because of this addition either.

If I could do it my way and in a perfect world, I'd have done it as a sub main similar to a garage straight from the cu and a dedicated MCB. But we are not in a perfect world and so we have to make do with what we have without compromising on any safety aspects.

Design current (Ib) 3kw (for arguments sake) = 13.04A

Cable is in PVC conduit clipped to outside wall, no considerations for insulation/grouping or temperature

Since I'm considering spuring off the kitchen ring then the ring has a 32A MCB

It = In = 32A, table 4D2A in the regs, 6mm will carry 34A

Volt drop = mV/A/m

= 7.3 x 13.04 x 15 = 1.42V (max allowable is 11.5V so well within)

There is the option of using my preferred method which is SWA, I could run 4mm SWA as that will carry 38A, clip direct

Hi all

There seems to be confusion over what I have written here.

Firstly -  this is a plug in (13A plug top) spa/hot tub. You buy it and it goes in your garden.

Secondly - there are no considerations in "special locations" in the regs for this type of device (I've checked)

Thirdly - the cu is split board RCD protected and the external socket I will be installing will be RCD also and the earthing system is TN-C-S