Not exactly a White Good but ..........

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a pocket sized DAB  radio with headphones , I'm a talk radio fan ...R4 ...R4Xtra ...debates ..drama....comedy,....current affairs etc , not wanting to inflict upon the neighbours or the missus  I use the headphones .

Its a Roberts DAB , sound is excellent , 5 presets etc,   trouble is it eats batteries ....its like Stepps when someone shouts the bar is on free,   Guinness    have to buy huge packs of AA batts .   Don't know if its to do with receiving DAB signals , I ought to switch to FM  and try it  but need DAB for R4Xtra .

Anyone recommend a pocket DAB radio that doesn't eat batts?

Any Dab I've come across that's battery operated juices out the batteries in a short period. What about a small site radio that runs of the 10.8-12v range of batteries? 

For a "pocket" solution you should consider using an iphone and podcasts - very neat and doesn't eat through the batteries like BAD radios do. The big plus is that you don't miss programs you want to listen to.

Failing that, a decent DAB site radio

Normal batteries don't last a day in my DAB, 2xAA

Rechargeable don't last til lunchtime,

My normal old radio takes 2xC and lasts all week on them !!

I have a Bluetooth receiver plugged into my site radio and stream from my phone if I really need to,  

My line of thinking was. How about a few of those cheap chienese power banks from Ebay combined with a suitable volt-reg IC. Now depending on how tolerant your 2xAA radio is, you can get 3.3v voltage regulators quite easily, if not, there are adjustable circuits where you turn a varible resister down until you get the output you want, and then slap a suitable zener diode across the output to prevent overvolatages in the event of a fault

My line of thinking was. How about a few of those cheap chienese power banks from Ebay combined with a suitable volt-reg IC. Now depending on how tolerant your 2xAA radio is, you can get 3.3v voltage regulators quite easily, if not, there are adjustable circuits where you turn a varible resister down until you get the output you want, and then slap a suitable zener diode across the output to prevent overvolatages in the event of a fault

That would be my thinking too....

a couple of 18650's and some other off the shelf components in a box with a usb charging board , jobs a gooden.

Is your phone an option? Data plan permitting.. I use the BBC iplayer radio app.  Can listen to live or download the programmes after broadcast. 

Are you linking that as the seller also has duck duct  tape :B

Can you get hard hat attachments for that 

Out of the many many many items that this seller sells I could not find any duck duck tape. 

I was searching for some kind of adhesive for that solar charger but alas I couldn't find anything...

except these

Screenshot_2016-08-02-22-14-36_zpsqpt0h0eg.png.7b14dcc2dd469573282319b2a2684690.png

:slap