cooker switch question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dean mac

Reaction score
is it ok to have a cooker switch sited directly behind cooker back entry in the garage which is accessible from the kitchen into the garage,would rather it not on show many thanka 

Its got to be accessible and withing 2m

Personally, I wouldn't class a different room as within 2m,

But, on saying that, I do consider switches outside a bathroom acceptable, 

:C

So, I've contradicted myself....... 

You will not find any specific regulations stating a cooker switch must be fitted in any particular location. There are numerous regulations relating to isolation and functional switching. There are also regulations relating to accessibility and external influences. You will also find general guidance and recommendations about the best places for such switches. At the end of the day it will be down to personal interpretation of the various regs and guidance by the person doing the work, who’s name will ultimately be on the electrical certificate. It could be argued that standard plastic switches, that you would fit in a kitchen, are not mechanically robust enough for installation in a garage where knocks and bumps from tools and ladders etc are more likely. It could also be argued that if an isolator is not situated adjacent to an appliance then a clearly visible durable sign may be needed stating where the isolator is located should it be needed in the event of an emergency. Whereas someone else assessing the environment may say the proposed location is all quite logical and intuitive and suitably robust to meet all of the fundamental design and installation requirements.

Basically it can be done, there is nothing specifically stating it is prohibited, but it is your call as to whether it is the best solution that meets all the various guidance. It wouldn't be my preferred location, but if it was the only suitable option then I would make sure the switch is clearly labelled as to its function, possibly also a durable label at the fuse box saying cooker circuit isolated located at xyz.    

Doc  H.

A lot of installers put isolation switches inside nearby kitchen cupboards so as not to be visible.

You will not find any specific regulations stating a cooker switch must be fitted in any particular location. There are numerous regulations relating to isolation and functional switching. There are also regulations relating to accessibility and external influences. You will also find general guidance and recommendations about the best places for such switches. At the end of the day it will be down to personal interpretation of the various regs and guidance by the person doing the work, who’s name will ultimately be on the electrical certificate. It could be argued that standard plastic switches, that you would fit in a kitchen, are not mechanically robust enough for installation in a garage where knocks and bumps from tools and ladders etc are more likely. It could also be argued that if an isolator is not situated adjacent to an appliance then a clearly visible durable sign may be needed stating where the isolator is located should it be needed in the event of an emergency. Whereas someone else assessing the environment may say the proposed location is all quite logical and intuitive and suitably robust to meet all of the fundamental design and installation requirements.

Basically it can be done, there is nothing specifically stating it is prohibited, but it is your call as to whether it is the best solution that meets all the various guidance. It wouldn't be my preferred location, but if it was the only suitable option then I would make sure the switch is clearly labelled as to its function, possibly also a durable label at the fuse box saying cooker circuit isolated located at xyz.    

Doc  H.
thank you for your reply do not want it above the work so i may put in unit next to it 

A lot of installers put isolation switches inside nearby kitchen cupboards so as not to be visible.
thanks mate

Its got to be accessible and withing 2m

Personally, I wouldn't class a different room as within 2m,

But, on saying that, I do consider switches outside a bathroom acceptable, 

:C

So, I've contradicted myself....... 
cheers