Why tumble dryers catch fire

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Tumble dryers don't catch fire because they are faulty, or because there's a manufacturing fault.  they catch fire because of neglect and operator error.

Quite how this one has not yet ignited is beyond me:

View attachment 7263

What you are seeing there is the vent hose of the TD just lying on the garage floor. that's a solid trail of dried up fluff eminating from the end of the hose across the garage floor. I expect had I cared to look, the whole hose would be full of fluff, just waiting to ignite.

Some people and the way they live just astound me.  If it had caught fire, no doubt they would be blaming the poor manufacturer and demanding a product recall.

That unvented cylinder is installed wrong too, the discharge pipe from the lower pressure relief valve runs uphill to join the discharge pipe from the temp & pressure relief valve. There is no tundish (bottom half of tee is inside a collar) so no means of seeing if dripping/discharging. Probably not been serviced too, they need regular servicing else they could possibly explode.

That unvented cylinder is installed wrong too, the discharge pipe from the lower pressure relief valve runs uphill to join the discharge pipe from the temp & pressure relief valve. There is no tundish (bottom half of tee is inside a collar) so no means of seeing if dripping/discharging. Probably not been serviced too, they need regular servicing else they could possibly explode.
https://www.youtube.com/embed/fUkjXGfCLIM?feature=oembed

Highly unlikely, but possible.

On the unvented training course they show a similar video just to put the fear of god in you.

My unvented qual has lapsed, must book it in sometime, though afaik nothing has changed since I last took it. More Expense.