EAL LEVEL 3 NVQ

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s2012

Reaction score
Hi, I've just started the EAL Level 3 NVQ in engineering maintenance and was wondering if anyone has done the course. If so can anybody give me any examples of the job write ups. Also I'm really  struggling with the knowledge questions, they are very badly written in my opinion has anybody got the modal answers that they could email me for these or even examples to point me in the correct direction or even any decent books on electrical maintenance where I could get some of the answers or and further my knowledge.

any help is very much appreichated

I've had several apprentices complete this course. 

The knowledge questions are not written brilliantly but are fairly straight forward, just don't over think them. 

I don't think anyone will be willing to send job write ups and model answers, as who knows you may just stick them into your NVQ portfolio. How about instead, give us the questions you are struggling on with your answer and I or others will steer you in the right direction. 

hi cheers for reply much appreciated. Yeah toatally agree with yous was worth a shot with the questions as for the job right up I woudnt be to copy as you need photos as evidence etc just wanted an idea of a job they done. I have managed to answer quite a few not sure if there right or not. Not really sure how much you have to write for them. here is an example of1 I have done

Describe the first aid facilities that exist within their work area and within the organisation in general; the procedures to be followed in the case of accidents involving injury

The first aid facilities that exist with my work area would include:

Personal stocked first aid kit to be kept at all times, which includes

Guidance leaflets/contents

Medium sterile dressing

Large sterile dressings

Triangular

bandage

Safety pins

Eye pads

Wash-proof plasters

Wipes

Microporous tape

Nitrile gloves

Finger dressings

Resuscitation face shield

Foil blank

250ml eye wash bottle

Hydrogen burn dressing

Shears/scissors

Conforming bandage 7.5cm

At the end of every month this should be checked by the nominated person responsible (myself) and recorded on the first aid kit check form.

Depending on the site there will be an appointed person & a first aider on site. Sites should include first aid facilities such as first aid kits, eye baths & some sites which contain hazardous substances such as chlorine will have decontamination shower.

is that ok?

This is one I'm sort of stuck on. I think the answer is in the answer for the question but I'm struggling just how to write them into out and how much I need to wirte.

Describe the risks associated with their working environment (such as the tools, materials and equipment that they use, spillages of oil, chemicals and other substances, not reporting accidental breakages of tools or equipment and not following laid-down working practices and procedures)

Describe the processes and procedures that are used to identify and rate the level of risk (such as safety inspections, the use of hazard checklists, carrying out risk assessments, COSHH assessments)

Again cheers for the help

There are a lot of questions there, and to be honest each one would warrant a thread of its own.

I am not sure if it is required to list the contents of a first aid box in relation to the question, others may be able to put me right on that one. the main thing on any site is to know where the first aid boxes are kept, and who the first aiders are who are trained to use them properly. Any time a first aid box is used its contents should be itemised and a request for replenishment made.

The risks associated with your working environment are almost self explanatory if you use common sense. All work involves some risk, just like crossing the road, you have done it a thousand times but each time is different, and the risk of crossing a rural road as opposed to a city road the risk involved will be different. We all do risk assessments, many times without even knowing we are doing it.

So let us take one of the questions above, you are working with a tool that develops a fault. You do not report it and another person decides to use it without the knowledge that it is faulty. What risks exist, depends on the tool and the fault, however the risk is even higher to the person using it as any fault would come as a surprise to the user.

Always try and think about cause and effect, it always works for me.

As Manator has said most of it is common sense,however it is also individual to the working environment,tripping over a trailing cable on the ground will potentially have a far different outcome to tripping over one say 30 feet up on a scaffold.

Risk assessments just need a little thought and the person doing them needs to be familiar with that particular process or piece of equipment.that is why they are usually carried out by someone higher up the chain.Let us take an angle grinder for example,now the ordinary person may see the risks as eye injury from flying sparks,they may even think about the risk of fire from those sparks coming into contact with flammable material.How many would think of the possibility of a disc shattering or becoming detached from the machine?

Most of us do risk assessments every day without thinking about them,it's only when someone puts you on the spot that you start to panic.

Look at this for one we do every day.

Wake up and get dressed,what are the risks? Well standing up and trying to put trousers on,you could fall and bang your head,you limit this risk by sitting on the bed and putting your trousers on.

Make breakfast, put kettle on to boil,the risk here is possible electric shock and scalding.So you make sure your hands are dry before plugging in kettle and you don't overfill it so it won't splash boiling water.Having made the tea you wait for it to cool slightly before drinking it,if the milk has been in the fridge for a few days you'll sniff or taste it before putting it on your cornflakes,if it's off you risk food poisoning.

Driving to work.Check car windows are clear,if they're covered in frost the risk is you'll hit something because you can't see,so you clear the windows to reduce the risk!

Easy isn't it? it's like anything the first time you do one you will find it hard and you'll probably miss things out,it comes with time and experience.The most important thing to remember is if ever you are uncomfortable doing a RA then say so,if someone asks you and you're not familiar with that particular process or piece of equipment then speak out.It's far better to say "I'm sorry I don't have enough experience with this to do an accurate RA" than to miss something out and someone gets hurt as a result.Quite often a RA will be done by more than one person,partly by you and partly by another person,lifting a heavy motor or transformer for example,the crane operator will be more familiar with the risks during the lift and you'll be more familiar with the electrical side of it,therefore you do the RA together.

Cheers for reply lad So! yeah it's common sense really like you say. I got an idea in my head it's just trying to  transfer it to paper and writing it down as a answer and finding the correct wording for the question and explaining it all. Hopefully get there in the end cheers

Cheers for reply lad So! yeah it's common sense really like you say. I got an idea in my head it's just trying to  transfer it to paper and writing it down as a answer and finding the correct wording for the question and explaining it all. Hopefully get there in the end cheers

I know what you mean, it all makes sense in your head but getting down on paper is a whole different matter. I recently finished my NVQ and when I struggled I just wrote down a draft with everything that I was thinking without worrying about wording or in what order, as long as I got it written down. Once I had it all there in front of me it was a lot easier to edit, move chunks of text around, think about the correct wording etc rather than trying to get it perfect first time. Maybe try that and see if it helps you. 

I know what you mean, it all makes sense in your head but getting down on paper is a whole different matter. I recently finished my NVQ and when I struggled I just wrote down a draft with everything that I was thinking without worrying about wording or in what order, as long as I got it written down. Once I had it all there in front of me it was a lot easier to edit, move chunks of text around, think about the correct wording etc rather than trying to get it perfect first time. Maybe try that and see if it helps you. 
That is very good advise, and one that should be followed.

I had to write a 500 word thesis once, when I finished writing what I wanted to say I had over 2,000 words. Eventually when I cut out everything that did not matter or was not vital to the project I managed to get a concise 500 word manuscript.

Hi struggling with this question as I dnt really cover much of the stuff in the brackets at work. Anyone got any ideas?

Explain how to use other sources of information to support the data (such as electronic component pin configuration specifications, reference charts, standards, bend allowances required for material thickness, electrical conditions required for specific welding rods, mixing ratios for bonding and finishing materials, metal specifications and inspection requirements, health and safety documentation)

Yeah mate that's the full question. 

I personally feel these question a worded very badly.

Yes mate it's understood k2..

Know how to use and interpret engineering data and documentation

Ok, well from what I remember (our lads were doing the maintenance NVQ) they were looking for answers along the lines of receiving say a job to fix an item of equipment. Seeing the equipment has a fault code on it and then using the manual to find out what the fault code means to help diagnose the problem. 

Yeah it's just hard writing it answer form

Cheers for help mate appreciate it 👍🏼

Let me dig out some old paperwork when I get home this eve. I'm sure I have copies of the questions, it's been 4 or 5 years since I was at the company that had the apprentices I looked after, I can't imagine the layout of answers being different. 

If you type out what you think, we can always go over and re word so it's more fitting to what the invigilator wants to see. 

Cheers mate that would be a big help really appreciate it 

Ok, so I had a dig through the documents I had readily available last night and I couldn't find what I was looking for. 

I have moved address a couple of months ago and still have quite a lot still boxed up, there maybe hope left yet.