socket under sink

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dean mac

Reaction score
hi guys does anybody see a problem with a socket being fitted high up under a sink above the waste in a cupboard,the sockets is rcd protected

Is it accessible past all the plumbing stuff to allow item to be unplugged?

if so I wouldn't have a problem with it, (disclaimer this does not mean I am correct it is only my opinion) 😀

I suppose it depends what it is for. A sink waste disposal might be considered to need emergency switching, in which case you can't use plugs and sockets 537.4.2.8 also others relevant in 537.4.2

Also if just for isolation or functional switching, bringing it towards the front of the cupboard might be good since undersink cupboards can get full of stuff pretty quickly. 150mm up from any shelves would be a good idea too (553.1.6)

Edit; and any cabling should go in (plastic) trunking, it is a storage area. :)  

Last edited by a moderator:
its for the washing machine its the only place it can go because there is no room behind machine 

garbage, just another useless piece of desk-jockey non-sense. The only concern is 'suitability for the environment' and if the sink isn't permanently leaking then it can be considered a dry location suitable for a standard socket. There is no reg saying you can't put a socket in the sink itself, a point maid fun of by the NICEIC itself in a cartoon that I can't be arsed to find this time of night

garbage, just another useless piece of desk-jockey non-sense. The only concern is 'suitability for the environment' and if the sink isn't permanently leaking then it can be considered a dry location suitable for a standard socket. There is no reg saying you can't put a socket in the sink itself, a point maid fun of by the NICEIC itself in a cartoon that I can't be arsed to find this time of night
thanks mate