What's your favourite tool

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yeah, I know there are many tool hoarders out there but you must have a favourite? 

I was extending some table legs for the mother in law earlier and all I had was my makita impact driver...ohh the joy of making a meal out of a simple job and making a hell of a racket driving 6×50mm screws in to an old table.

:)

Well, my battery sabre saw probably paid for itself on the first job I used it on.

My 10.8 impact & 18V SDS are probably the most used power tools, so perhaps have earned me the most money on site.

However my computers probably earn me the most money.

I'm looking back to when the firms only had ordinary power drills , those metal Wolf drills , no hammer .  

So imagine how cheap labour must have been when I was working on a new build  multi-story car park .....a line of sparks & apprentices sitting on top of step ladders ... plugging fixing holes in the concrete ceiling for the lighting conduit ...with the dreaded Rawlplug Tool & hammer . 

I posted this before .

We could hear a strange Bbbbbrrring noise from the lower floors ,  someone says "You wanna see what the sprinkler guys are using ...something called a Hilti Drill"

About 2 seconds to drill a fixing hole with one ........with us taking 10 minutes to fix a 3/4" saddle .   

I do not have a favourite , so,I need to buy more tools

Can I interest you in one of these sir?

http://m.clasohlson.com/uk/Wera-Tool-Check-Socket-and-Bit-Set-/40-8687?gclid=CjwKEAjw3Nq9BRCw8OD6s4eI5HASJABsfCIajepD7rH8SULIvPHTO2RV11eEyaNIzGkgwyNG3ZOsIhoCny_w_wcB

:D :D :D

The best tool that has saved us hours of hard work is the SDS drill  .  Specially the one with the chiseling option .  

The SDS is up there with the best!.°:)

Don't use the combi drill so much anymore as it just a bit too much effort to get a hole in hard council brick or concrete even with a decent bit.

job done with the sds! :D

Well, my battery sabre saw probably paid for itself on the first job I used it on.

My 10.8 impact & 18V SDS are probably the most used power tools, so perhaps have earned me the most money on site.

However my computers probably earn me the most money.

I have a makita 10.8 v combi but it's not as much fun as the impact driver, though it has served me well, it's starting to get a bit tired, perhaps I will try a bosh next time!

too many to list... at the moment its an 18v bandsaw...

sounds interesting what the hell do you use it for? girders? 

Hmm this si difficult, I really like my snips with the cable stripper notches built in, I really like my Meatabo hammer drill (mains) for chasing back boxes and stuff, I really like my fkuke voltage indicator with the LED torch built in, but my favourite tool (when I have the excuse to use it) is my lump hammer, cos smacking something with that brings out the small boy in me :slap

sounds interesting what the hell do you use it for? girders? 

not girders, its not that big. use it for bits of steel etc, much better than a grinder, and no sparks

a7ba3b57683966a0762caa5c0a317f4c.jpg.8f5d32193c20e8741099b0db3ad33a3d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Multi-tool for me. Was a die hard, "never EVER buying one of those things" type until my chippy mate did some work for me and I borrowed his thereafter. Bye bye chisels and pad saws for most things. I remember cutting square holes in some floor boards for the first time to let some mini trunking in and getting all giggly. I even chase Celcon on occasion with mine. A true convert.

@Blue Duck......been there, got that

Been giving this some thought...needs splitting into categories really

best piece of kit for earning me serious coin is this litter jotter

http://www.viavisolutions.com/en-us/network-test-and-certification/copper-dsl-wifi-and-broadband/hst-3000

cordless power tool....18V SDS and/or impact driver

hand tool/s....Wiha Multi bit driver set.      And/or Knipex multi combi pliers

this could go on for ever...Even down to,best driver, best snips,best wrench, best knife

Multi-tool for me. Was a die hard, "never EVER buying one of those things" type until my chippy mate did some work for me and I borrowed his thereafter. Bye bye chisels and pad saws for most things. I remember cutting square holes in some floor boards for the first time to let some mini trunking in and getting all giggly. I even chase Celcon on occasion with mine. A true convert.
Has to be one of the most underrated tools. Till you get one. :)

I have the Dewalt 230v with the led work light . It is worth it's weight in pure gold, especially when you are getting on a bit.

If you get the chance, next time Aldi has the cased 230 in , buy one . £20 ,the accessory kit is worth that alone, it is a great little tool , even for just leaving in the van when that job comes up. I was amazed with it to be honest.