My beloved pet "put to sleep"

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

green-hornet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had to have my pet Sacha put down this week.

Let me tell you I am a hard man who does not fret at any kind of voilence or worry about the scenes of dead people( been in the army and seen it). However I cried my bloody eyes out when I put her down.

She was a saluki greyhound lurcher and a good dog, but she had a degenerative muscle disease, nothing could be done.

The vet said she could go home and get worse and basically die at home or I could put her down now.She had been on steriods to no effect and I did not want to see her suffer more.

Only trouble now is my other dog seems to be a little disturbed that she has gone, he has never been left alone and dogs are after all pack animals.

I am very sorry to hear about your old dog - but from your description you did the kindest thing!

It can be hard for remaining pets to adjust to the loss of a pack-mate, possibly for a number of reasons. They may miss their old companion, the pecking order may need re-establishing etc. I think the most significant is often the mood of the owners. Animals are very sensitive to the emotions and feelings of their owners and if they are down and sad then it can bring the other dog 'down'. IMO

Some vets and behaviourists recommend the existing dog sees the dead dog as it may help the dog come to terms with things. I have no objection to this but not sure if it makes a difference.

Think the thing is to see how your existing pet gets on over the next few weeks. If he/she continues to be down then take him/her to your vet for a check over. We do actually have a tablet for stressful situations that may really help if he/she's not pulling around.

You did the right thing :)

I had to have my pet Sacha put down this week.Let me tell you I am a hard man who does not fret at any kind of voilence or worry about the scenes of dead people( been in the army and seen it). However I cried my bloody eyes out when I put her down.

She was a saluki greyhound lurcher and a good dog, but she had a degenerative muscle disease, nothing could be done.

The vet said she could go home and get worse and basically die at home or I could put her down now.She had been on steriods to no effect and I did not want to see her suffer more.

Only trouble now is my other dog seems to be a little disturbed that she has gone, he has never been left alone and dogs are after all pack animals.
:( :( :(

pets is pets!

dogs, cats, budgies, rabbits, guinea pigs, gerbils, etc.. etc...

they all become part of the family! IMHO:(

:_|Blushing:| :| :|

sorry to hear that G.H.

Thanks Apache I will look over him now his mate is gone, they where in fact brother and sister, she was spayed to prevent in breeding, but they have lived together all their lives.He is by nature a loner but not sure if thats true, will wait a week or two then take him for a check up just to be sure.

My parrot is doing fine he wants putting down, he just annoys the dogs and sits on his perch laughing at them, ever seen a fight between a parrot and a terrior?

( I have one lurcher left and a bedlington terrior) both males and very chesty lol.

Parrot always wins!

Sorry to hear that Green-Hornet. :(

I agree with Specs. A pet is a pet. Soft as hell me, I would have cried my eyes out too. :|

But on a lighter note...

I did laugh at the Parrot Vs Terrior. :) Bless.

Very hard when a pet is taken from us-have had many cats go this way but two years ago got a springer and she is such a good friend-pain too I might add. But thats what makes it so hard when they go. Chin up mate-we will all be reaquainted one day for sure.

Have you considered getting another to fill the gap?

Well Apache I can honestly say my remaining dog is very sad I had to sleep with him the other night,he was howling but it was like nothing I have ever heard, not a wolf howl, but a very disturbing kind of painfull howl.

Of course we have been spoiling him just now, but I do think he is depressed.

I am going to the vets on tuesday, best appointment I could get so I will let you know what they say.

Well Apache I can honestly say my remaining dog is very sad I had to sleep with him the other night,he was howling but it was like nothing I have ever heard, not a wolf howl, but a very disturbing kind of painfull howl.Of course we have been spoiling him just now, but I do think he is depressed.

I am going to the vets on tuesday, best appointment I could get so I will let you know what they say.
I don't want to come across as cruel and heartless but you need to be careful here. If you cuddle and praise the dog you are reinforcing the behaviour. Trying to behave like everything is ok is probably for the best.

The classic example is fireworks - dog jumps, you comfort it. Next bang dog jumps more and gets a bigger cuddle etc etc. I have seen it when a pet has been put to sleep too.

They are very sensitive to your mood so if you are feeling down the dog will often respond to that.

Never thought of that, and thinking about it you are probably right, in fact I think you are dead right.

Thats why your a vet and I am an electrician:Y

Sorry to hear of your loss, I cry everytime we have to have one of the rats put to sleep.

Sorry about your dog , Hornet, I'm the same, in fact I can't listen to Elvis singing " Old Shep"

This won't do will it , we are supposed to be roughty- tuffty construction workers.

However you did the right thing.

Deke

Sorry about your dog , Hornet, I'm the same, in fact I can't listen to Elvis singing " Old Shep" This won't do will it , we are supposed to be roughty- tuffty construction workers.

However you did the right thing.

Deke
Deke - this was 2 months ago?

Well I never look at the dates, Still feel sorry for The Hornet though, had the same thing last year with our 16year old Westie.

We lasted 8 weeks before the Missus says " Theres a 6 month old Westie over in Dudley needs a home"

Needless to say he found one, and is ,as I type, carrying more of my socks up the garden for burial.

Second anecdote is now in place BTW

Well I never look at the dates, Still feel sorry for The Hornet though, had the same thing last year with our 16year old Westie. We lasted 8 weeks before the Missus says " Theres a 6 month old Westie over in Dudley needs a home"

Needless to say he found one, and is ,as I type, carrying more of my socks up the garden for burial.

Second anecdote is now in place BTW
They just drive you mad dont they.

Thats dogs and wives:^O

We are now down to two dogs we originally had four.

My son worked his nvq's as a gamekeeper and decided when he finished to bring his working dog home, then he left home leaving the dog:)

I have warned my wife no more dogs, but it never stops them.

They just drive you mad dont they.Thats dogs and wives:^O

We are now down to two dogs we originally had four.

My son worked his nvq's as a gamekeeper and decided when he finished to bring his working dog home, then he left home leaving the dog:)

I have warned my wife no more dogs, but it never stops them.
Our lives would be more empty without our dogs!

:)