Unenclosed live connections above light fittings

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revved Up Sparky

Reaction score
I currently work as an electrical inspector for a large electrical contracting company, my main role is to inspect, test and certify work done by installation teams.

On an install on Friday I noticed that 15 Ansell light fittings have been installed, each with a connector block at the top mounted on a baseplate. As you can see from the photographs, the connections are unenclosed. When I queried this with the young installer he shrugged his shoulders and said that was the only way they could be installed.

Has anybody ever fitted this type of light fitting ?. No manufacturers info was available for me on site for me to check.

I think that the baseplate with connector block should have been recessed into the ceiling and screwed to a noggin behind.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Thanks.

Simon.

PIC1.jpg

PIC2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a pretty carp light fitting. would it really have been too hard for the manufacturers to have folded up the other two sides of that backing plate so it forms an enclosure when the cover is screwed on?

I guess you could seek out a small chocbox or wago box that would fit the space.

Or did the manufacturer supply a cover that got discarded because it was too fiddly to fit?

Thanks guys. Unless I am mistaken the out of reach rule only applies if the area is occupied by skilled or instructed persons. These are sheltered flats that will be occupied by elderly disabled people. The job is coming to a close now so I think it would be very difficult to recess those baseplates in the ceiling now. Dave's suggestion to find a neat junction box that fits in that gap sounds like a good idea. My concern is that someone could visit, perhaps a grandchild with a toy with a long conductive material that could find it's way onto one of those connector blocks. I agree that the fittings are carp.

Agree with all the above comments, as Dave said why could the manufacturers not enclose that part of the fitting so that it could be surface or flush mount so to speak.

If your worry is stray conductive material into choc block and you can't get a box into there, what about changing the connectors to Wago connectors, might be a good compromise.

I am almost certain that fitting is supposed to be flush mounted.  The install guys have ballsed up.  Get em back in.

Just pondering the devils advocate here for a minute, but is this wiring arrangement any more dangerous than a bog standard pendant with the lamp removed. (exposed live terminals lowerdown and easier to reach). Just a thought?

Doc H.

Thanks for all the continued responses which are greatly appreciated. Dave, I arrived on site last week, weeks, even months after those light fittings were put up so no info is available and the installer did'nt admit to me that a part was discarded. One way or another those connector blocks need to be enclosed before I will submit the EIC. The directors will be on my back but I'd rather upset them than be summoned to court on a manslaughter charge.

A bit dramatic mate.  Do you know how many electricians have been prosecuted for manslaughter ever?  None!

I think you will be ok with this.

A bit dramatic mate.  Do you know how many electricians have been prosecuted for manslaughter ever?  None!

I think you will be ok with this.
Thanks Supersparks. Well if I sign the EIC declaring the installation is electrically safe and someone gets a fatal shock off one of those connectors then who knows ? a manslaughter charge might be on the table.

Doc H I will double check in the big book but I have a feeling such lampholders may be excluded from the usual IP requirements expected from other types of light fitting.

Is there a part number or model number? if so you could look it up on the manufacturers website or contact them for installation instructions.

You will not be signing for the install or the design will you.  Just because you carry out the testing does not relieve the designer or the installer of their responsibilities.  

Plus you do not sign to say it is 'safe'  You sign to say that you have tested it and inspected it and to the best of your knowledge it complies with BS7671.