Routing 16sqmm SWA externally - recommendations?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon1013

Reaction score
I am doing some of the legwork for extension wiring (being overseen by an electrician) - sinking boxes, wire runs etc. One of my tasks is to run a length of 16sqmm SWA externally from the main supply to the location of the new consumer unit. Obviously, leaving the ends dangling free for the chap to connect up properly...

There don't seem to be any hard and fast guidelines on routing SWA with regard to clipping, protection etc so I was planning on simply routing it round the outside of my house, just below the DPC, clipped at (say) 200mm intervals using those large cable clips. My sparky did say that I might want to use additional protection, and mentioned some kind of 'U' shaped cover and associated hardware that encloses the cable. Since the cable will run along a wall which is adjacent to a public path, I wouldn't mind the additional protection if only to avoid yobs kicking at the wire and pulling out the clips. I couldn't find any such hardware doing a basic google search....but not sure exactly what it would be called anyway.

Any general recommendations? I feel I am challenging the sparky with enough 'Building Regulations' questions to bother him with this, and anyway, am more interested in general what people do since I figure there must be a number of ways to skin this cat.

Cheers again all

If this is going to be running around a customers property the cable with or without the guard it will look naff.

Can’t you find an alternative route under the floor or underground?

If it were my house I wouldn’t thank you for blemishing the external appearance.

Last edited by a moderator:
There really is no alternative, and without going into the details of the aesthetics, the black plastic versions will blend in and look fine. An order of magnitude of betterness than the 3 or 4 unused, clipped cables that are going to get ripped off to make room.

BTW it's my house and I am happy.

Presumably it remains exposed around corners and entry/exit points, there isn't a 'corner' version of the cover like you get with internal ducting?

Well, I was planning on drilling at a fairly shallow angle in/out to avoid a 90deg turn but no fixed idea of how best to go around the few corners. Any advice? Was thinking about simply chasing out a local recess/channel in the brick/render at around the min bend radius size. I didn't think it sounded too challenging...

Given the geometry, around the eaves doesn't make a lot of sense (although you wouldn't know that unless you have seen the location/situation).

Consider you will be cutting in to one of the highest load bearing sections of your house foundations.

I’ve done it but I supported the corner section of stonework on 6x4 baulks of timber first and I had a stonemason to advise me.

Well, I was planning on drilling at a fairly shallow angle in/out to avoid a 90deg turn but no fixed idea of how best to go around the few corners. Any advice? Was thinking about simply chasing out a local recess/channel in the brick/render at around the min bend radius size. I didn't think it sounded too challenging...

Given the geometry, around the eaves doesn't make a lot of sense (although you wouldn't know that unless you have seen the location/situation).

Plan to run it at two levels if you have one corner, 3 if you have two etc. and turn it twice through 90 deg in one plane, and rotate it through 90 deg between in another plane and Bob's your Mothers Brother.

We have used 41 sq Unistrut before now to protect cables in public places, or places where it may be attacked, use the top hat brackets that bolt down either side, bolt it down with Thunderbolts & tack weld the Thunderbolts to the bracket, then apply copious amounts of galv spray.

I was planning on using 3 core in case the sparky needs to use one for earth. Not planning to do the termination myself, just the routing...

The 90deg bend suggestion will work perfectly with the installation I have. Cheers