Camera through glass

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Pricing up  a domestic cctv system as part of a refurb. The only way any camera  at the front door can be mounted is to fit it inside the porch facing out. About 800mm inside the double glazed doors and to see up to 3m away. Just wondering about reflections both daytime and at night, although if a problem the IR could be masked/turned off as plenty of other lighting. Any experience ?

Two polarised filters, one on the camera and one on the window. You will loose about 40% of light transmission but will get a clear picture.

The filters have to be angled at 90° to each other. Only trial and error finds the best combined angle.

Polarizing filters for cameras are easy to get, I’ll look for the manufacturer of the polarizing acetate sheet I used for photography

Phil D may have a better idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say mount it outside somewhere else. (Yes I did read what you posted) The problem as I see it is people. By human nature the polarising filters will not be liked from day one, or soon be removed or accidentally knocked.

Although you can explain to the client what the filters are for and not to touch them, by human nature they will, and not to mention the glass will need cleaning. I have found that with CCTV,  people expect to be able to switch it on and it works as it did last time, every time. If you invoice them for something they have done they will not pay it as its "not their fault" (Even though it is)

Is this clear glass I presume?if there are no lights on at night will not the camera night vision miss the glass so to speak? 

During the day then reflections may present a problem but will it be a problem for the camera will act as a deterrent? 

Just thinking out aloud?? May make no sense at all?