Anyone own a small lathe, favor required.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob.

Gold Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As the title really, does anyone own a small lathe that would be willing to turn a small piece of brass for me as a favor? It's just a 40mm OD tube, 65mm long. I need it facing off both ends and a 37mm hole put in one end 40mm deep. 

Will cover all costs for postage and compensate time, also provide the piece of brass. 

The place I normally nip into to use theirs is moving shop, so will be out of action for a while. 

What is your tolerances Rob? I have a lathe and I am willing to do it but the lathe is the same vintage as me (born in the first half of the 60's) and it has a bit of wear on it, so it is not the most accurate.

As I say I am willing to give it a go, it would meet farm standards but not aero standards :)

If someone else with a better machine and skills (after all I am a spark and not a machinist) comes forward feel free to use them I wont be upset.

Tolerance; Engineers work to the nearest mm, Architects work to the nearest cm. Plumbers work to the nearest room.

Tolerance; Engineers work to the nearest mm, Architects work to the nearest cm. Plumbers work to the nearest room.
When I was an apprentice I started to wire the wrong house on a new build /multi builder estate

i was to wire numbers 1/2/3&4 for a builder 'A'....unfortunately I started number 1 for builder 'B'

I got shouted at!....being shouted at on a building site in the 70s was a LOT worse than it would be today!, a lot LOT worse...and it hurt more

I was once labouring for my Dad who was a bricklayer. I worked with two brothers who were huge, one above me throwing down two bricks which I caught, turned around and threw them to the brother below, who stacked them. The stack was "fag high" and the two brothers pulled out their fags, the one below asked his brother for a light and got ready to catch it. I saw his hands ready and automatically threw the bricks I still had in my hands. He caught the lighter and the bricks landed on his feet. I had them both chasing me around the site, admittedly one was faster than the other, who was limping a bit.

How do you think she got the 14th floor flat? She used the milling machine.

And for the walls she used the lathe and plastered it I guess.

How the hell, did she have a lathe and a milling machine in a 14th floor flat? 

Just as bad as you having bloody OCB's as light switches. 

In bits in the lift, same as the welding sets and cutting gear. How else would you get anything to the 14th floor? Only Michelle could have a Roots blower as a vacuum cleaner.

She served her apprenticeship with Brush power systems in Loughborough and proof reads stuff for me.

Ferg has had the dubious pleasure of meeting Michelle, he came to the same conclusion as everyone else “barking mad, lovable but totally barking!”

I'm still waiting for the OCB!

Last edited by a moderator:
Rob,

I can do this for you if you like, my lathe is imperial and ropey too, but, it does me for the machine repairs I do, pulley bores etc.

In fact, I am at a machine shop next week doing a VMC for them, they have tidy lathes & proper machinists!

I might even be able to pop into somewhere with a tidy lathe as I look after a few machine shops.

How soon do you need it?

37mm hole may be an issue as I don't think I have a 37mm drill & it would take a while to bore it out especially as it is to be a blind hole.

Do you need the hole to be flat bottomed? 

Latest posts