Which heater is suitable please

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharBish

Reaction score
We have just had solar panels installed and have economy 7 as there are existing old night storage heaters in the property we've just purchased (no gas available) but we have had so much information from three electricians about which storage heaters to install we need some help please to decide. I will just say that at the present time, there are no heaters upstairs and only 3 downstairs so it is a big job to install whatever we have in a 3 bedroomed 1950's semi and we are normally both out at work all day apart from a weekend or 1-2 days a week depending on shifts. The choice is between Dimplex Quantum, Heatstore Automatic Dual Sensor Storage Heaters, or just thermostatically controlled electric panel heaters. The next question is do we need the same heaters upstairs as downstairs as we spend our time downstairs in the evening, only going upstairs at bedtime. Obviously some heaters cost more than others but I suppose we want to know which will justify us having solar installed and the best use of this energy and the economy 7.

Well i will tell you that heatstore and dimplex are both made in the same factory in portadown co armagh. So quality wise they're pretty similar lol.

Funny you should say that as the description for both is almost identical but you get a 10 year guarantee with Dimplex and only 2 years with Heatstore so do you think that there are different quality components in each one even though they're made in the same factory

Forgot to say that one electrician suggested we get rid of economy 7 anyway as the daytime units are so much more expensive and go for the panel heaters instead which are much more efficient at heating a room when you want it heated

No its the difference between armani and emporio armani. Im not totally sure of your product lines perhaps there is an extra feature or too on the dimplex maybe not.  Dimplex is the premier name.

I am more used to the manufacture of the plx panel heaters. I can tell you they are all exactly the same product with a different logo printed on the front. (dimplex, glen, nobo, awt, unidare, creda, heatstore etc).

As regards to what product to use, i really don't know, i work in the matinenance of machinary and plant. 

But what do you want? Do you like the idea of just turning a heater off and on whenever you want. Then go for the plx range. 

Also have you looked at the possibility of oil filled radiators. There is the dimplex ofx and mk1 ranges.

Thank you for your information. No, nobody has suggested oil filled radiators and we have just said please advise us what we need but as you can see we've had three different suggestions so we are still none the wiser, but I will look into the oil filled ones.

There are many types of heater you can choose from according to your requirement.

Nowadays, there are several types of heaters are available in market such as

portable infrared heater panel

outdoor infrared heater

wall mounted outdoor heaters

framed infrared panel heater

frameless infrared panel heater

infrared picture heater

infrared mirror heater

infrared bathroom heater

infrared towel heater

infrared glass heater

As you can see, there are a variety to choose from. Before buying one, it is better that you know what your purpose is, to heat a room, or heat a larger area? After finalizing your purpose, it will really be helpful to research on the different types mentioned and check what best suits your needs. This will really be helpful so that you will have a manageable winter.
Hopefully they have a heating system sorted now as it was 4 years ago.