what should i do.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tracey Ancell

Reaction score
i got a new boiler fitted 3 weeks ago half way though the installtion. they guy got a phone call for head off about faulty work done else where. they told me they needed to go for a part. they came back started cleaning up there tools. told me they were done. all they had to do was fill the system and turn it on. then he said there was no power he took apart the control unit next to the boiler. then said he had to look at the tank up stairs he removed wires added a plug. never plug it in. which i thought was strange when we went  back down stairs and the who down stairs stunk of gas. i said i can smell gas he told me i couldn't as he hadn't even turn the gas on. i thought i was being daft why would he put a plug on a wire then not test it. why would he test the boiler with out the gas. but i not a plumber and he must know what he doing.  he told me he couldn't fix the electrics. but they was sending a electrician out in 2 days. 2 weeks later after 4 complaint promises and excuses they will fix it and nothing. i call national grid to check the leak and got them to call the company to tell them the problem. he condmend the boiler and turned of my gas. they swore they would send some one out to fix. but when the guy turn up at 8,0 clock at night. he fix the gas leek which only took a few second it was a squashed olive. but even if he fixed the electric. they had place the flue to close to a window and they haven't put a flue guard on. they said a sparky would come the next day. he call me to tell me he was coming but he didn't turn up. they say they have to send sparky first when he fixes that problem. then they will send a plumber to fix there other problems. then they have to send off for some paper work which will come to my house. when it arrives i have to call the company out to certifi the boiler then i will be able to use it.  i know to contact gas to make a complaint about the gas but is the same organation for electrics.  they have told me i'm not aloud to get anyone else out to touch the boiler. but how long before do i wait 

Hi Tracy, definitely complain to Gas Safe Register about the company. Who are they?

As for the electrical side, it does not sound as if any actual electrician has visited you, so you can't really complain about the electrics being done incorrectly.

nope but cost me a fortune in takeaways and tissues. my dog was only sick for a day. and i was lucky the boiler didnt blow up. lucky the weathers hot as i havent had heating or hot for 3 months was told 3 weeks top.

Can I suggest you take your case to trading standards. You will need to plead your case as they do take some motivating but keep at them, they should be able to help. 

I think legally you have to give them the oportunity to make good any defective work. Send them a letter by recorded delivery giving them 14 days to complete all the work, and leaver you with a working system and a gas safe certificate for the work. If they fail to do that then take the matter up with trading standards.

do not pay them anything until it's working and you have a gas safe certificate.

I think I would have lost patience long ago and told them just to remove what they have done and get someone else to do the job.

I think legally you have to give them the oportunity to make good any defective work. Send them a letter by recorded delivery giving them 14 days to complete all the work, and leaver you with a working system and a gas safe certificate for the work. If they fail to do that then take the matter up with trading standards.

do not pay them anything until it's working and you have a gas safe certificate.

I think I would have lost patience long ago and told them just to remove what they have done and get someone else to do the job.

^^^ Wot he said, but even if they do act within 14 days I think you should get another company to look over the installation before you part with any money

Please keep us posted.

Nothing winds me up more than rogue traders taking the p

Last edited by a moderator:
no electrician has done any work but the plumber did
Do you mean the plumber did electrical work? I am not sure what they did from your description below

then he said there was no power he took apart the control unit next to the boiler. then said he had to look at the tank up stairs he removed wires added a plug

it is not an actual requirement to provide a gas appliance installation certificate. It is a requirement to fill out the benchmark page in the literature, and to notify building control in England and Wales (but not in Scotland apparently;))

I hope you haven't paid any money, this sounds totally appalling, complain to everyone you can think of but start with Trading Stadards, check their trade registrations to see if they claim an electrical registration. Check them in general on-line and see if you can find other digruntled customers. I think I would also look for another company to check/ complete works, although you are suppossed to allow a company to rectify works, it really doesn't sound like they will do a competent job. Might be worth checking 'Which? Trusted Trade' or 'Buy With Confidence' websites for an alternative installer who can help.

i got a new boiler fitted 3 weeks ago half way though the installtion. they guy got a phone call for head off about faulty work done else where. they told me they needed to go for a part. they came back started cleaning up there tools. told me they were done. all they had to do was fill the system and turn it on. then he said there was no power he took apart the control unit next to the boiler. then said he had to look at the tank up stairs he removed wires added a plug. never plug it in. which i thought was strange when we went  back down stairs and the who down stairs stunk of gas. i said i can smell gas he told me i couldn't as he hadn't even turn the gas on. i thought i was being daft why would he put a plug on a wire then not test it. why would he test the boiler with out the gas. but i not a plumber and he must know what he doing.  he told me he couldn't fix the electrics. but they was sending a electrician out in 2 days. 2 weeks later after 4 complaint promises and excuses they will fix it and nothing. i call national grid to check the leak and got them to call the company to tell them the problem. he condmend the boiler and turned of my gas. they swore they would send some one out to fix. but when the guy turn up at 8,0 clock at night. he fix the gas leek which only took a few second it was a squashed olive. but even if he fixed the electric. they had place the flue to close to a window and they haven't put a flue guard on. they said a sparky would come the next day. he call me to tell me he was coming but he didn't turn up. they say they have to send sparky first when he fixes that problem. then they will send a plumber to fix there other problems. then they have to send off for some paper work which will come to my house. when it arrives i have to call the company out to certifi the boiler then i will be able to use it.  i know to contact gas to make a complaint about the gas but is the same organation for electrics.  they have told me i'm not aloud to get anyone else out to touch the boiler. but how long before do i wait 

Perhaps I'm a bit thick but I've read this a couple of times.......

Are you saying that a brand new boiler that was fitted 3 weeks ago was then condemned by a national grid engineer????

What were the terms and agreement on the original quote for the boiler install...     e.g.  costs / timescale etc..   ?

(I presume you did have a written agreement/quote for the original work)

Sounds to me as though you have been ripped off / fleeced / shafted / conned / lead up the garden path  (or any combination thereof)...

by this shambles of a company.

:popcorn

i rang up benchmark as that was the first badge they have on there site. they are many, but i thought i complain to all and started with that one. at this point i was so mad i want to complaint to anyone who listen i felt  and ask there advise they told me to send it in writing all my problems. i ask if i should contact anyone else.  let her read the complaint and then she tell me what i should do.after she read the complaint. she told me to complaint to gas safe to. i also rang who told me to put in in writing and send a complaint to the company in writing. they sent my complaint to trading standard which i didn't know they were going to do. but glad they did. 

any way i was waiting  for the electrician to come on friday. but on friday benchmark email my complaint to them giving them until monday to respond to it. as soon as they recieve it. the owner of the company was on it. he said he was sending there best today and they wouldnt leave until it was done. i was hopeful but still not believing.

they were great he checked the boiler and check the fault also found some i didn't know about. he then had to go collect the parts. while he was gone the electrician came. when he went to the store they didn't have the right parts so. so they sent  the guy who fixed the gas leak for me. he could of just left once he dropped of the parts. but he said he was staying until it was done. he thought the electrician was coming last week and the work would of be done.  i think he felt a little guilty. for not fixing it that night when he fix the leak. but we should he was told they send the electrician out the next day. it took all 3 othem 6 hours to do the work. if he had stayed doing the work he off been doing all night and into the morning.

electrical problems

the dumb ass who did the install had fitted the wires wrong. i know nothing about electric but even i can fit a plug. he put the wires back the first had removed and the electrics worked. he replaced socket covers. when the first install had left them bear with wires showing.

but once all that was all work he found a part was broken in the upstairs filling tank. the part automatically switches from water to heating but it was stuck on water. he replaced that. they had to empty my system to do that.

plumbing problems.

the boiler had been installed to high on the wall. to close to the window.  the first installer should of put it on to the wall 3cm lower. sound like nothing but caused a lot of trouble.

the flue was sending air back into the boiler turning it off .  had to fixed there was a cm of white showing on a brown flue none should of been none. a flue kit had to be added.  a cage thing was also added. the pipes had to be replaced as the weren't falling correctly.

The guys were great they explained each problem how it should of been done and how they were going to fix it. they filled out all the correct paper work. one of the guys told me i was lucky if this hadn't happened. when they were sent to my home. there order were to fix all problem no matter the problems the cost. they were to stay until it was fully working and up to standard. even if any problems weren't caused by the first installer. no extra cost would be added. the part was no under the original contract and cost £100. so i got that free.  i am grateful they didn't charge me but i would of happy to paid it the first time.

what i am truly happy for is that the idiot didnt know how to wire the plug and gas smell so strongly. if not it could of blown. i wouldn't of known about the missing parts. all the other issues. 

i wounder if the guy did it on purpose as a fu to the company they were such idiot mistakes but each stop it from working

placing it to high so extra piping would be needed.

no flue guard easily noticed

a squashed olive easy to fixed

a wrongly wired plug so the boiler wouldn't light stopping it from blowing up. 

removing wire from the upstairs so no power went down to the boiler

i get they knew they were leaving the company but using me to get back at them didn't work. it only hurt me and my family.

god i have rambled if you are still reading thank you for everyone on this site. giving me somewhere to talk to. to let my fustration out and your advice was grateful recieved. hopefully everthing is fixed now.  

tldr haha, really glad you got it sorted Tracey. Well done, and thanks for keeping us updated.