Remote access to CCTV lost after power cut

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GJP4

Reaction score
Hi,

Second time this has happened.

Power cut (this time 4 hours) and after it came back on the DVR reset itself and was fine.

However, the remote access would not connect from iMac or iPad.

Accessed DVR, selected Network, then IP set up. I clicked on RENEW button at the side of the DHCP tick box (which is selected).

Waited a few minutes and then once everything was reconnected I tried remote access  (both) and they worked.

Since it was working fine for > 6 months clearly the router (BT) is sorting out the DDNS correctly after power cut but if I were away at the time I would not be able to access remotely until I came home and reset. 

Question - should the DHCP box be ticked in DVR or left empty?  (i.e. I assume "on manual").

Regards

G

Andy,

Many thanks

Just to clarify do I give the DVR a static by ensuring the DHCP box is NOT ticked in the DVR Network, IP software page, do I set it in the BT router or in both please ?

G

Canoeboy - Yes I do understand the range issues

What I was unsure about is whether it is on the BT Router or in the DVR IP screen or both that I actually do the setting (i.e. assuming one of them is simply mirroring what I have set)

Does that make sense?

G

Homehub IP address starts at 192.168.1.64 so was going to use 63

However, unless I am doing something wrong HomeHub won't let me use an IP address outside the range

As I am a Domestic (not a Business) customer we don't get the (paid for) luxuries of static as an option from BT.

Have now set the DHCP to manual (i.e. static) on the DVR, made the BTHH5 network IP for  the DVR to "always use this address" (i.e. static ) so should be fine now.

Am assuming the BTHH5 cannot allocate an IP that I have already told it to use for the DVR.

Appreciate all the expert guidance !!