Immersion heater options

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sdennis9

Reaction score
I've just moved into a new flat which is fully electric (no gas) and want to know the best way to save money on my immersion heater. Is it best to have it on all of the time or just on at set times during the day? 

Only 2 of us live here and are out at work during the day. The immersion has a boost setting, and I have already turned the thermostat down so it doesn't heat to the maximum as this is not necessary for us. 

Thanks for your advice in advance! 

What is your electricity supply tariff?  One would hope economy 7 or economy 10 if you are all electric.

The answer to that is pretty fundamental to the answer about how to use it.

Also what controls do you have? is there some form of immersion heater controller that might have a "off / timed" switch and might have a boost dial.

And related, to help us understand better, how is the flat heated?

Currently with Eon, unfortunately not economy 7 or 10. 

The flat is heated through panel heaters and the only controls on the immersion heater are the thermostat dials (one near the top which is the boost option) and one near the bottom. There are two switches - one for boost and one for water heater. I can't see any timed switches but I am happy to turn it on and off if this would save money 

its a 210 litre tank 

Well that's a pretty poor arrangement altogether. It means you are using peak rate electricity to heat your flat and for your hot water.

To minimise cost just heat the water when you need it and not before, and if you are only showering rather than having a bath, just use the top heating element.

If it is your own flat, then in the longer term look at altering the way you heat the flat and the hot water, but if not just make the best of a bad job.

Please tell me you don't live in Manchester,,,,,

:pray

I've just been to commission a number of flats, and they have a totally rubbish system for heating.

good tank lagging is the best answer so what you have heated doiesn't lose the heat. It would also be worth talking to your energy supplier about a dual tariff meter. Have you got a timer on the immersion?

A word of caution regarding dual fuel ie having off peak electricity, is that they charge less for overnight, but often more for your daytime usage.

As others have said, decent lagging and a timer is a good start.

I'm only renting the flat at the moment so have to make do with how it is unfortunately!

No it's not in Manchester, just really poorly planned heating system in the flats. 

Thanks for for all the advice, would I be able to put a timer on the immersion if it's not my flat?

I'm only renting the flat at the moment so have to make do with how it is unfortunately!

No it's not in Manchester, just really poorly planned heating system in the flats. 

Thanks for for all the advice, would I be able to put a timer on the immersion if it's not my flat?

I'd say that would come down to the landlords discretion, dependent on what is written in your tenancy agreement about additions/alterations.