Second year apprentice looking for a new employer - Plymouth

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conor Chapple

Reaction score
Hi I am currently a second year apprentice, I have been looking for a new employer in the Devon/South West area for the last 8 months but nothing has to come up. 

I have emailed various companies explaining my situation however I've had no luck. I am looking for some advice on what else I can do to find a new employer such as forums ect... Thanks!

Can I ask,

Why are you looking for a new employer,?

Its not usually a very good sign when someone moves employment during their apprenticeship, apart from extenuating circumstances, 

The main reason I am looking is due to me being paid less than minimum wage. 

The other reason is because my current employer doesn't really follow the regs the way he should so It would benefit me by doing it properly rather than always having to double check what he asks me to do with what I'm supposed to do.

if you are less than 19, you get paid  alower rate, that's normal. Someone should also have pointed out that all that lovelly ink you have etched into your skin is a firkin bad look for a tradesman.

Apprentice rates are £3.40/hr from this month was previously £3.30. They are a different rate than age related minimum wage because of the going to college factor etc.

See if your college can help find another employer, although I think they may well be a bit reluctant as they are so hard to find in the first place.

Good luck - oh - there is plenty of body paint around, I don't have any but have a mole on the end of my nose that I must deal with as clients keep looking at my nose, a bit like Austin powers and the mole scene.. lol

if you are less than 19, you get paid  alower rate, that's normal. Someone should also have pointed out that all that lovelly ink you have etched into your skin is a firkin bad look for a tradesman.

couldnt agree more,

even though I have tattoos myself, all old skool mind, much older than the OP to be exact,,,,,

but, only one is visible, and only if I wear a t-shirt,

and, I got mine long before it became trendy to be unique, just like everyone else,

I really cant stand all these trendy tattoos that all look like each others, I guess thats another 'trade' that has lost itself to, all they do these days is trace them, no actual artistry involved much anymore.

Hi I am well aware of apprentice wages.

i am a 19 year old second year apprentice meaning I am entitled to the minimum wage for my age group which is now £5.55.

i am currently being paid £160 a week for doing around 7 hours a day. The correct wage is £194 a week which may not seem like a lot but it does add up. College seem to be useless at helping but oh well I'll keep looking. Thanks!!

I think you have shot yourself in the foot with your appearance. Most of our customers are over 60, and they associate tats with thugs. Try to keep your ink covered up, change your profile pictures on face book etc etc. so that anyone looking at your profile might give you a chance to talk.

There is also an element of loyalty, if you aren't loyal to your current employer, you aren't likely to be loyal to your next - be careful how you present your reasons for leaving. Sherford will be starting soon, your best bet is to track down whoever gets the contracts and apply for work.

Hi I am well aware of apprentice wages.

i am a 19 year old second year apprentice meaning I am entitled to the minimum wage for my age group which is now £5.55.

i am currently being paid £160 a week for doing around 7 hours a day. The correct wage is £194 a week which may not seem like a lot but it does add up. College seem to be useless at helping but oh well I'll keep looking. Thanks!!

No harm in writing to said employer and stating the facts wrt wage rates, sorry I missed your age bit. When I was your age I was always correcting my employer wrt the pay as they were not very good at it. In the end whilst still an apprentice, I was invited to help out in the wages office, stuffing cash into envelopes, lol

Good luck (and get the money  back dated to your birthday, you could even do the sums for them to save the hassle of them working it out...

Its only money, no point getting emotional over it, that's how I deal with bad payers in business, just keep at it.

No harm in writing to said employer and stating the facts wrt wage rates, sorry I missed your age bit. When I was your age I was always correcting my employer wrt the pay as they were not very good at it. In the end whilst still an apprentice, I was invited to help out in the wages office, stuffing cash into envelopes, lol

Good luck (and get the money  back dated to your birthday, you could even do the sums for them to save the hassle of them working it out...

Its only money, no point getting emotional over it, that's how I deal with bad payers in business, just keep at it.

The problem is it's just me and him, on my birthday back in April he basically said heres the most I can pay you. 

Im abit wary on saying to him about it as I really can't afford to lose my job and as I'm working with him everyday I don't want it to feel awkward. But yes if I can't find another employer I'll just stick at it until I'm qualified as I've got around 16 months remaining so it wouldn't be worth dropping it completely. But thanks for the advice!:) 

mmm, see your point, well if you are getting plenty on jobs for write up for NVQ, maybe sleeping dogs etc, however

I  received £1500 from the training provider for the support of an  apprentice in my company.

He would need a good reason to let you go and would probably have to cough the £1500 back up. You could ask if he has  received it.