Air rifle / shooting

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steptoe

of course Im wrong, ask my wife™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok,

So as per the title, 

I'm looking at getting an air rifle,

Now, from someone that hasn't shot for over 25years, and with a budget of sub £150, any recommendations,?

I had been looking at getting something decent 2nd hand, but, tbh, I wouldn't know if I was buying a dog or a laser guided RPG,

Have looked at the 'Gamo' stuff, apparently rebadged and slightly not as good BSA, 

Deffo wanting a springer BTW,

Anyone selling one,? 

@Apache

From an air rifle nut mate of mine.........

He could do a lot worse than look for something like a Weihrauch Hw95 or HW97 (HW77 for something older and closer to budget) if he's going second hand. Maybe an AirArms TX200. Both of these companies offer excellent engineering. It really is first rate. Gamo is ok, but pretty basic. Hatsan is a far eastern manufacturer and if you can see past the typical prejudice, they're pretty good. Anything from BSA will also be pretty good. As long as he can test fire the gun, he should be ok. Look for obvious signs of abuse. A well cared for gun won't look like it's been used to prop a gate open all winter. A few dings in the stock is nothing. Any rust, walk away. Cold bluing rusted patches is very hit and miss and professional hot bluing to restore metalwork is too expensive to consider. Regardless of calibre, when test firing, look out for any unexpected heavy recoil. The fairly big mass of the spring should make a bit of a thump, but it shouldn't have any boing noises! Look out for dieseling. Too much oil in the mechanism means the lubrication gets compressed and gets near ignition, so smokes like a train! Short term, not a problem, good strip and clean makes it go away. Long term, can damage seals. Check the breech seals look nice and smooth (where the pellet goes in). Trigger should be firm when squeezed, should let off with a distinct sensation of release. If it's too sloppy, could be badly worn and need too much work to be worth it. Patience is vital. There are loads of them out there, so he'll find something decent. I have an HW77 restoration project that is not for sale but I promise you, it's lovely to shoot. I could go on for hours...

Cat hunting??? (Joke).

I had a couple of BSA's they were great. too much hassle in London, had armed response out a couple of times & spent a long time in the cells courtesy of nosy neighbours.

May I suggest a black widow and some ball bearings?

:lol:

Thanks,

Ye, had been looking at an HW, bit out of my budget tho, and don't see many 2nd hand round this way, :(

I suppose its just a matter of keeping my eyes open, and checking gunstar regularly.

I don't want to spend a lot, its just for a bit of 'fun', 

Either that, or review the budget,,,,, 

Not really with stuff like that I don't think,

You have to actually get it from your local gun shop, they don't post it to you direct. Prob put another £20 on it too handling charge, :(

I'll just keep looking, 

Reply from my mate......

Would depend entirely on the condition of the HW35. Assuming it's in good nick, I'd go for the HW35. In saying that, note the following. I'm a Weihrauch fan. Love their guns and they way they build stuff. Secondly, most vitally, there is no point at all in buying a gun that doesn't fit you. Shoulder both of them. Check the reach to the trigger from the shoulder. Check the size if the cheek piece. Is it high enough for you to hold your head comfortably behind a telescopic sight? If the gun doen't fit, you'll hit little with it with any repeatable accuracy. Lastly, parts and kits for the HW35 are everywhere. Good prices too. Backup for the Hatsan is harder to find, although with a new gun shouldn't really be much of an issue. Either way, they're both nice guns that should give good service if looked after. 

I've an Original 45 IN .22 from circa 1983 bought with my first wage packet. At the time it was one to consider along with the other quality German makes Weihrauch, Feinwerkbau & Anshutz. Mine's unusual in that it was available in .177, .20 & .22. The Original 50 is a nice gun too but fixed barrel with underlever (or was it side?).

I'd look at Webley too if going for a "classic".

Well, having a good search around, 

Its not looking like any sort of under lever is going to be in my budget, reasonably local anyway,

so its going to be a break barrel.

I have a couple of options realistically, with not knowing enough about these things, I'm not too keen on buying private, so its go to a gunshop that has a few that I can try (new and used) , and either buy a cheapish new, or a decent (ish) 2nd hand, (which is probably the better option) ,

I'll prob just go on their recommendation for whatever 'fits' me. 

I'm not looking for an Olympic grade gun, just something half decent for a bit of paper punching and the odd rodent,,,,, 

Nice gun, I'd go for it, the stock would be a nice winter project to oil & season.

Scope looks half decent, still has sights on, just shoot it and see.

I't not that much for a good gun tbh.

Nice gun, I'd go for it, the stock would be a nice winter project to oil & season.

Scope looks half decent, still has sights on, just shoot it and see.

I't not that much for a good gun tbh.
That's exactly what I'm thinking,

A (hopefully) decent gun for £150, versus an unknown for the same price, plus spares and someone knowing how to rebuild isn't going to be an issue with a proper brand gun.

As I said, I'm not a shooter, its probably going to be more accurate than I will be, I'd like to spend more, but, I started out at 100, then realised that was just unrealistic, its only for a bit of fun, so just couldn't justify any more than 150. 

Turns out, its only about 30mins from me, will give him (her?) a bell and see. 

The faded blueing isn't a huge issue. You can get cold blueing cream. Acid based so need to take care.

Just seen an Original 45 on the same site for £150. I've still got the exploded parts / spares diagram (from Dees Airweapon Spares from memory).

Latest posts