Seeking lockable fan isolators.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Holiday lets retrofitted with humidistats have basic 3 pole isolators. I want to lock the isolators on. Found MK type but rather cumbersome with padlock dangling.  Would prefer another neater type. Anyone know of any?

I assume your problem is tenants turn them off because of the noise, then complain of the damp and mould?

I have been there and done that as a landlord and my solution was no fan isolators anywhere in any of my rental properties.

Nobody has ever given me a definitive answer of WHY we fit them. I certainly cannot find a requirement to do so in BS7671. There is reference in one of the statutory documents about a "motor" being fitted with a local isolator for mechanical maintenance, and I have always believed this is the reason we fit them. But a simple risk assessment says even if you are stupid enough to insert your finger while it is running it would not result in a serious injury.  And isolation for electrical maintenance is not the argument, otherwise you would want an isolator for every "loop at light" light fitting (anything with a permanent live feed)

So my take is no fan isolators in a rental property, and if you want to do maintenance you isolate and lock off at the DB.

I now await someone to give me a GOOD reason why that approach is wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with ProDave, unless the manufacturer's instructions specify an isolation switch, why fit them?

somean49, use a connector block for the wires and fit a blanking plate.

If they are humidistat I would assume they are 2 wire feeds only, so just use a DP keyswitch.

My friend who rented a house ended up wiring the fan into the pullcord of the shower so when one was on both were on. 

The previous tenants were too miserable to turn the fan on, they also blocked all the vents to prevent heat loss and never turned the heating on. They also had a hindu/buddhist shrine thing in one of the cupboards which constantly burnt a candle and the smoke ruined the inside of the kitchen cupboard. The whole kitchen was actually discoloured.

The previous tenants were too miserable to turn the fan on, they also blocked all the vents to prevent heat loss and never turned the heating on. They also had a hindu/buddhist shrine thing in one of the cupboards which constantly burnt a candle and the smoke ruined the inside of the kitchen cupboard. The whole kitchen was actually discoloured.
Welcome to the world of being a landlord. It is not all sit on your aris and collect the rent (that makes you rich, aparently)

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the world of being a landlord. It is not all sit on your aris and collect the rent (that makes you rich, aparently)

The worst story i heard was of a different friend who went into a vacated premises to get it ready for the next tenant he went into the bathroom and found a collection of used tampons shoved down behind the radiator. :redcard

Another boy found out he was renting a house to a local drug dealer, he rounded up a few boys and forcefully evicted him on the spot, there was no retaliation. :coat

Another friend of mine a brick layer bought a house in dublin he was happy to have it rented through the recession. The only problem was when a local neighbourhood community contacted him and told him that it was a knocking shop for eastern european and african girls. He was sick he didn't know what way to turn, he was afraid at the start to ask for help from the guards incase he was suspected of being a pimp, especially because he was fron the north. In the end he had to attend a meeting with the community group and get advice off them on how about evicting the girls. :facepalm:

Thanks to all for the replies. Glad to have stirred up some memories. The manufacturer's requirement is for a 2-pole isolator.  The properties are holiday lets by the sea (less than 200m away)  The shower/bathrooms have no ventilation to the exterior.  The humidistats are only required to work while these holiday lets are occupied so are operated by the light switch - they are programmed for a 60 min overrun or until 60% RH is achieved.  Although quiet (8 db) I  know from experience the "guests" will turn them off; the previous extractors were always ******** about with as shown by the mould growing. The sparky who ran the safety tests recommended the lockable type isolators but so far has not got back to me on his source. Hence my enquiry. Which I am starting to think will draw a blank.

Put the isolator out of reach, i.e up in the loft space above the bathroom, right next to the fan.  All boxes ticked, guest doesn't even know there is a switch to turn it off.

Often the manufacturer's instructions will specify the fan needs to be fused down to 3A; as I understand it the need for an isolator can depend on whether or not the room has natural light.

I'd probably go for a switched FCU in the loft.