CCTV Tester Pro....."HD cams

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Home for the terminally bewildered, one step ahead
I bought a CCTV Tester Pro,a few years ago

this is its twin brother.     191958893433 on eBay

i only ever did Basic plug and play stuff for a chain of opticians that now no longer exists.  This monitor/Tester was brilliant...up, a pair of steps, plug it in, set camera position etc without having to,go,back,to,the screen/monitor.

any road up, I lent it to my son yesterday as he was moving cams around in his warehouse and he could not get it to,work

i called in to check...it worked!

reason was I tried it on a standard def camera...clear as a bell as expected. It would not work on His new HD cams.  Does anybody know if this is just not compatible with HD cameras or is there some setting that I cannot Find?

admittedly it was late and I was getting bored

just wondering

thank you 

That tester is CVBS (composite/SCART). The new cameras are probably HD-TVI (or HD-something).

So yes, incompatibility.

What I have been doing on some of the smaller jobs is cabling up, setting the DVR up and then using the mobile phone as a wireless test monitor.

Well, you know what they say about assumptions! BNC is just a connector type, there can be any one of several different formats coming out of it. The HD cameras I have been using though have a CVBS output for a local test monitor connection, which is why I haven't got rid of my old monitors yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, its just different standards used by different manufacturers, if i have to use analogue i use TVI, i have a great but expensive install screen which is TVI-Analogue-AHD-cvi comparable. It also looks for feeds from IP camera on the network and pings IP addresses if you get stuck. Best way is to go for all POE IP nowerdays, even low end x-vision cameras are brilliant and the price comparison isnt that far off, and if there is already a network on site saves hours and hours in wiring, also you can save some cash on smaller jobs by now having a DVR and storing the recordings on a large micro SD card onboard the cameras, not the best option but its possible.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172285596701?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

similar to this but mine stated it was compatable with all standards,

if there is already a network on site saves hours and hours in wiring

Be careful doing that. Some cameras/NVR's aren't great at playing with others and can have a negative impact on an existing network if not set up properly.

always pays to get a decent hybrid hikvision dvr and make sure your not using a conflicting ip address. Also if they are using a managed switch making sure the rights ports are open.