Alarm with proximity fob

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As part of a refurb i am looking for a panel to replace a 35 year old key operated alarm panel. Customers are old and dont like the keypads. They are nor bothered with latest alarm/insurance requirements regarding the setting.

Can any one recommend a panel. TLC list this    https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Alarm_Index/Alarm_Panels_and_Systems/index.html

But I think the description is wrong, looking at the spec , installation, programing & user manuals no mention of the keyfobs, a quick set unit used for an earlier panel G3 is not availible.

Any other ideas please.

I should add i know many like Scantronic are available, any recomendations

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Texecom Prem 24 Elite here too, with proxies. Setup over wifi with COM wifi.

Does the job well...

Just keep in mind that the above panel only has 8 zones onboard. The others are gained with expanders.

I've fitted both the Scantronic with 9943 keypads and Texecom Elite with prox in the past. Both are simple and easy enough to obtain and program, but the Texecom is a lot easier with the software (which can be a faff for a one off).

Currently for domestic installations I have been fitting the Pyronix kit (mainly due to the fact I use the Pyronix for wireless) so it keeps the familiarity. Usually end up fitting the PROXi reader so the only time the customer ever needs to see the keypad is if the alarm has been activated etc.

The other option if you're not bothered about fitting it to standard as such is just set/unset from a keyswitch wired to a zone programmed as keyswitch. You could additionally use a couple of outputs for set/unset leds.

Using a key switch and LED's sounds a good idea, but after seeing it done I have to say its not really as good as it seems to be. For months the couple set  and unset the system and all is well. One day one of them forgets and sets it off. This is where it falls out of bed. To use the alarm again it need to be "reset" which involves using the keypad and a code, if they were too worried to use a key pad to set / unset it they will be ..................to reset it.

I can only suggest you explain this is how technology is going, and show them how easy it is to use a "new fangled keypad"  I don't much like them, but a galaxy can be set up so that it starts to set by pressing ONE button. (and you can unset it with a fob)

There is that. I would usually use a Galaxy for everything, and I generally stick a keyprox in but it's not something I would necessarily recommend as an electricians alarm.

There are ways around it all, depending how much out of the box thinking you want to apply. You could set up a keyswitch to operate as per a Logic 4 panel if you really wanted to!