Starting a Fresh

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geoff Harris

Reaction score
Hi Guys and Gals,

I really need some advice, I am 29 and never had any electrical training what so ever. I have worked in retail since I left school and became a store manager, why not money was great!? but I recently quit my job because I realised I had no passion for retail. I have looked online and would really love to get into electrics, whether it be as a mate or adult apprentice (which apparently is a thing).

I have seen on trade skills for you a few courses and would like to know if they are worth doing to get me a step in the right direction?

https://www.tradeskills4u.co.uk/courses/2365-course

https://www.tradeskills4u.co.uk/courses/domestic-electrician-installer-ts4u25

Also what sort of experience or qualifications do you guys look for from your 'mates'?

I should be getting my ESC card in December.... but realistically is it possible at my age? I don't expect to earn much money and that isn't a problem, I'm mainly looking for experience and exposure.

Any feedback, advice, information or direction would be amazing,

Thanks,

Geoff

Hi Guys and Gals,

I really need some advice, I am 29 and never had any electrical training what so ever. I have worked in retail since I left school and became a store manager, why not money was great!? but I recently quit my job because I realised I had no passion for retail. I have looked online and would really love to get into electrics, whether it be as a mate or adult apprentice (which apparently is a thing).

I have seen on trade skills for you a few courses and would like to know if they are worth doing to get me a step in the right direction?

https://www.tradeskills4u.co.uk/courses/2365-course

https://www.tradeskills4u.co.uk/courses/domestic-electrician-installer-ts4u25

Also what sort of experience or qualifications do you guys look for from your 'mates'?

I should be getting my ESC card in December.... but realistically is it possible at my age? I don't expect to earn much money and that isn't a problem, I'm mainly looking for experience and exposure.

Any feedback, advice, information or direction would be amazing,

Thanks,

Geoff
ECS Card not ESC :-(

avoid the short courses. you will not be qualified or competent at the end of them, you wont have a clue to to do much electrics and you wont be immediately earning the 50K+ they claim. you would also not be employed by anyone as an electrician

I’ll echo what Andy has said, avoid short courses especially Tradeskills4u. Rip off merchants par excellence.

The electrical trade is complex in that not all jobs are straight forward. Altering an old installation will reveal pitfalls not covered by any course. You need knowledge and experience to work your way around situations, you’re not going to get that for the £X000’s you pay out.

I’ll echo what Andy has said, avoid short courses especially Tradeskills4u. Rip off merchants par excellence.

The electrical trade is complex in that not all jobs are straight forward. Altering an old installation will reveal pitfalls not covered by any course. You need knowledge and experience to work your way around situations, you’re not going to get that for the £X000’s you pay out.
Thanks guys, pretty much what I thought, so for someone my age, what would you suggest the best route? How does someone get their first role ( any role ) to start their career?

Is it a case of getting a lucky break and becoming a mate or something?

Thanks,

Geoff

Whatever trade experience you get working with an electrician you need the underpinning science to understand why you're doing what you do.

Being an electrician is not about monkey see monkey do, its about safe installation, prevention of electric shock and fire.

So if you're lucky enough to get a start as a labourer or mate get yourself enrolled at college.

( I've no idea what the courses are these days but others on here will be able to tell you )

It's a struggle working and doing night school 2 nights a week but worth it at the end.

And GOOD LUCK!

Portsmouth, I've just had an email back from my local college offering 17th edition and pat testing, both part time evening courses are they worth completing? I know 17th edition is essential long term. But would I benefit at an early stage just to catch the eye of potential employers as a mate?

Last edited by a moderator:
17th course is simply to show you know the regs. you will need it at some point, but its not something you would need yet. appliance testing is your choice really, but any sparky would know enough to do appliance testing without needing another course in it

Portsmouth, I've just had an email back from my local college offering 17th edition and pat testing, both part time evening courses are they worth completing? I know 17th edition is essential long term. But would I benefit at an early stage just to catch the eye of potential employers as a mate?

Go for the 17th without doubt. Don't just pass the exam, learn how to use the book.

Practice, practice and keep reading it. 

Pat testing much use to an employer unless that's what you want to do.

As the others have said , I don't know what the courses are these days , someone will tell you when they log on.

Forget PAT testing , Sparks can do that anyway . 

Getting the particular City & Guilds  is the main thing .

The 17th edition course would give you a good insight into the Regulations  ( Regs book  will cost you £70 -£80  by the way)  (( Course is around £400 in this area)) 

If you are that keen , & please realise , Electrical Contracting is a million miles away from retail work..... in my opinion  you really, really need to get a start with an electrical firm .  The grade used to be Adult Mate  , but its Labourer now .     Thing is  you'll be soaking up experience just being there .

Say if you went on a new housing job for instance , they would almost certainly, set you off  drilling floor joists for wiring  & sinking accessory boxes into block work.

They were the  typical apprentice's jobs . 

Just saying , it's not unusual these days for someone your age to be staring off in the trade .....however I have no idea how they get on ,  are there any Forum members who went this route?   

As the others have said , I don't know what the courses are these days , someone will tell you when they log on.

Forget PAT testing , Sparks can do that anyway . 

Getting the particular City & Guilds  is the main thing .

The 17th edition course would give you a good insight into the Regulations  ( Regs book  will cost you £70 -£80  by the way)  (( Course is around £400 in this area)) 

If you are that keen , & please realise , Electrical Contracting is a million miles away from retail work..... in my opinion  you really, really need to get a start with an electrical firm .  The grade used to be Adult Mate  , but its Labourer now .     Thing is  you'll be soaking up experience just being there .

Say if you went on a new housing job for instance , they would almost certainly, set you off  drilling floor joists for wiring  & sinking accessory boxes into block work.

They were the  typical apprentice's jobs . 

Just saying , it's not unusual these days for someone your age to be staring off in the trade .....however I have no idea how they get on ,  are there any Forum members who went this route?   
Thank you all so far for the advice and help, gives me a bit more confidence just listening to you guys not laughing and saying jog on. I don't expect it to be easy I just wish I was pushed into something like this a long time ago but I was blinded by regular money at a young age.

Thank you all so far for the advice and help, gives me a bit more confidence just listening to you guys not laughing and saying jog on. I don't expect it to be easy I just wish I was pushed into something like this a long time ago but I was blinded by regular money at a young age.

The good thing about being on here is once you begin your college you have a place to come to for guidance if you get stuck or confused.

That doesn't mean we'll do your homework for you but we'll give you enough clues to work it out yourself.

All you have to do is ask.

Nicely!! :B

Latest posts