Electrifix 3m galv conduit mis-print?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phoenix

Reaction score
http://www.screwfix.com/p/deta-class-4-conduit-tube-galvanised-20mm-x-3m/7734j

I've never seen it in 3m before, only 3.75m. Anyone speulate whether this is liable to be a simple mis-print... or is 3m available as special order? and screwfix might be supplying it instead for logistics reasons?

3M would fit in my car alright. 3.75m doesn't, which means I need to either take a hacksaw and a guess at the first length in the car park. Or put up with the car going "BEEP BONG  BONG BONG BEEP " and saying the boot door is not properly closed!

ive only ever bought galv conduit in 3m lengths

I'm beginning to think this might be a regional thing... Can 3.75 be bought off the shelf up in Geordie land? do you know?

Anyone else able to jump in with whats available in your area?

3m is definitely available in some places.

However the default length for galvanised conduit is 3.75 metres and that is what any wholesaler will supply in my experience (unless you specifically ordered 3m - and I'm not sure how many would get it for you).

We usually get it in 3m lengths down here in Neath.  Not sure where from, that's our purchasing departments job.

Last edited by a moderator:
3m is definitely available in some places.

However the default length for galvanised conduit is 3.75 metres and that is what any wholesaler will supply in my experience (unless you specifically ordered 3m - and I'm not sure how many would get it for you).

I dont see how you can state that,

the default length for galv conduit in Denmans or Edmundsons would appear to be 3m, thats what they list, they dont list any 3.75m lengths that I can see

3m lengths are rare for me!! Whilst we ask for 4m I am willing to accept that the provided length could be 3.75m.

Both lengths are available  , 3.75  & 3 M 

I think wholesalers go for the 3m  to fit in transit type vans. 

Before we were metricuted  ,  3/4" imperial  conduit was 12ft 6"  long as I remember . 

I've had both, from various wholesalers up and down the land. I think it more depends on the local use and the wholesalers main stock. In some areas some wholesalers stock loads of industrial kit, every size and type of trunking and conduit and fitting known to man, other places get you blank looks if you ask for a length of 2" tray or 50x50 strut.

I once went to every wholesaler in a town to find some MK sockets, not one place stocked anything other than Volex or some other random cheap ****e, "we never get asked for anything like that, everyone round here just fits this random cheap brand". Ended up in B&Q.

Before we were metricuted  ,  3/4" imperial  conduit was 12ft 6"  long as I remember . 

12’6” or 25’ for both imperial and metric from our division central stores. I made the mistake of ordering 25’, it arrived ready bent.

The joys of working for multinationals, they have their own stores system for requisitioning materials. I’m blaming a hangover for the 50 galvanised dustbins that arrived instead of 20mm through boxes.

Galv conduit, I hate the stuff!

I spent months cutting, bending and threading the damn stuff when I was a nipper.

Filing a leader and threading with a stock and die using tallow as a lubricant.

Getting my hands covered in tallow and swarf.

Of course it goes septic when the swarf gets under your skin.

I've successfully avoided it for nearly 40 years.

So I don't care how long the lengths are  because I'll never be using it again.

Strange, I f'ing love working with galv tube. Haven't done any extensive galv tube for a few years now, would be well happy if I was doing galv tube, trunking and tray again.

Strange, I f'ing love working with galv tube. Haven't done any extensive galv tube for a few years now, would be well happy if I was doing galv tube, trunking and tray again.

Some people do love the stuff but not me.

I never got the chance to put any of it up I just cut, bent and threaded it.

There was no satisfaction of a job well done.

When l worked on the Butlins refurb in the 90's there were gangs that did only conduit.

They had competitions as to which gang could install the most bundles a day.

l avoided them in case I got dragged in to work with them.

I dont see how you can state that,

the default length for galv conduit in Denmans or Edmundsons would appear to be 3m, thats what they list, they dont list any 3.75m lengths that I can see
Well certainly anywhere here you would always be presented with 3.75m lengths if you asked for a length. Unless you specifically asked for a 3m length you wouldn't get it, and even then probably a lot of places wouldn't get you it or might even claim it doesn't exist. It's the very reason I had a pipe rack made at a bespoke length of 3.8m

In fact even at the Training Centre during Apprenticeship we were taught that it came in 3.75m lengths - although I do know certainly that 3m lengths are available at least in some places.