Cat 6 cable no signal

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spike47

Reaction score
Hi

I have just put in 70 Metre of Cat 6 cable from my house to my workshop , to run a CCTV Camera , tested each pairs for continuity by shorting each pair at one end , and they all tested ok , connected Camera no signal , connected my laptop  , again no signal  .

Not sure were I go from here , the Router is on , the cable checks out , what other checks can I do .

Spike

What happens if you remove the short and test again? Is there still a short?

Connected incorrectly or the cable is faulty.

Not sure what else to say.

Richard-the-ninth , good question , will test again to see .

tks

Spike

Lurch , how can it be connected incorrectly when there is a circuit in the pairs , double checked colours , both ends same place connector , will check what Richard-the-ninth as said , to see if there is a fault within the cable .

Am trying to come up with a tester to check each single wire , there is the Tone tester on the market , but I am looking at something different to use , any idea's out there ! .

cheers

Spike

Last edited by a moderator:
could have connected a pair the wrong way round, or crossed 2 pairs.. plenty ways it could be connected incorrectly

Andy™ , Yes could of put them the wrong way round ,but not crossed otherwise I would not of got a circuit shorting each pair at one end .

each ethernet socket connector is colour coded , so pretty easy to follow at both ends .

cheers

Spike

Try an el cheapo cable tester,

You can get a cat5/6 tester for literally a couple of quid, 

Won't tell you much other than each cable is terminated properly, but better than nothing. 

Andy™ , Yes could of put them the wrong way round ,but not crossed otherwise I would not of got a circuit shorting each pair at one end .

cheers

Spike
Well, yes, if you are testing on wire colours and not connection, would still show as ok.

Try an el cheapo cable tester,

You can get a cat5/6 tester for literally a couple of quid, 

Won't tell you much other than each cable is terminated properly, but better than nothing. 

Well, yes, if you are testing on wire colours and not connection, would still show as ok.
Have tested direct from the back of each socket at the connector to the wire ! .

Ye, so you are testing on cable colours, test from the front of each socket.
Yes I have done that , that is how I shorted the pairs , a short lengh of cable with a crimp on , connected into the socket at one end ,  then twisted the pairs together , done a continuity test at the other  end socket .

Get a basic tester off amazon or ebay to prove the basic cable faults aren't there.

Has the camera got an IP address that you know? Can it be pinged from your laptop?

Rob. , Just ordered one , yes it has a ip address , it can be pinged when it is in range of the house wi-fi , but not as far as the garage , that is why I have put in a cable .

cheers

Spike

I did a 110 metre cat 6 run to a studio. Like you it belled out, but didn't work.  As I sat there scratching my head why it dodn't work and what to do, it sprang into life.

I concluded because of the length it took the network adaptor in the pc some time to adjust to the poor signal over such a long cable.

I presume it can't be pinged over the cat 6?

Cat5 and 6 is good for 100m easy, even in high data applications on SCADA networks. I wouldn't personally install longer than 100m without some sort of switch. I have seen 150/200m runs work perfectly fine though. 

I presume it can't be pinged over the cat 6?

Cat5 and 6 is good for 100m easy, even in high data applications on SCADA networks. I wouldn't personally install longer than 100m without some sort of switch. I have seen 150/200m runs work perfectly fine though. 
Yes I understood cat 6 was good for 100m , so I am well withing that range ,Pro Dave may have something there about the Router configuring itself for that length of cable .

Maybe I should just leave it connected overnight and see what it is like in the morning , I am nearly 100% ( nearly ) sure the cable and connectors are ok .