Metal case, fire-proof dimmers could be the next thing!?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPECIAL LOCATION

Trailer Boy - Electrician.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone else think we need to ask for metal clad dimmers in the 18th edition ????

IMG_3931.JPG

IMG_3937.JPG

IMG_3939.JPG

IMG_3941.JPG

Now that the self combusting CU's are sorted we need someone to push the cause of the dimmer switch...

glad I was not the person who installed original.

Eterna Dimmers ... any recommendations ???

(Dunno why these photos have a tendency to rotate themselves?)

:popcorn Guinness

Bin?

I had some Eterna LED floods with PIR that are mostly useless, sometimes they might come on once if they feel like it. Also replaced pretty much all of the Eterna PIR's I fitted last year.

I knew they were cheap random, they didn't used to be absolutely useless though, so after my recent experience of them I am not in the least bit surprise the dimmers were on fire!

ETA: PIR is not a Periodic Inspection Report in this instance, thanks for the "help" though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Their warranty as as poor as B&Q or Volkswagen 

Are those the ones where the warranty is only valid while the product is still unsold....

i.e..  once you remove the said item from the retail outlet any warranty is expired/useless/worthless/only valid for pink unicorns wearing tartan football boots singing "the deadwood stage is coming over the hill"?

:popcorn

P.S.   I fitted a bog standard double gang switch and also replaced another dimmer switch as the customer was a bit worried and concerned about dimmiers..

The one that caught fire was working 4x Gu10's..   didn't look at them all but 4x 50w should be within the scope of the average 250watt dimmer.

:C

Are those the ones where the warranty is only valid while the product is still unsold....

i.e..  once you remove the said item from the retail outlet any warranty is expired/useless/worthless/only valid for pink unicorns wearing tartan football boots singing "the deadwood stage is coming over the hill"?

:popcorn

P.S.   I fitted a bog standard double gang switch and also replaced another dimmer switch as the customer was a bit worried and concerned about dimmiers..

The one that caught fire was working 4x Gu10's..   didn't look at them all but 4x 50w should be within the scope of the average 250watt dimmer.

:C
I think you will find it is termed a 'checkout warranty'

once past the checkout the warranty is worthless....also,known as the Platinum Promise

It is obvious that the retail outlets must have the warranty in case any of their staff drop and damage an item while packing on the shelf...

So they can get free replacements from their suppliers...

BUT...

If they manage to sell an item to a customer clearly it MUST be fit for purpose AND of merchantable quality... 

Or the customer wouldn't of bought it!?

SO warranty no longer needed!

Simples!

Guinness      

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone else think we need to ask for metal clad dimmers in the 18th edition ????

View attachment 7737

View attachment 7738

View attachment 7739

View attachment 7740

Now that the self combusting CU's are sorted we need someone to push the cause of the dimmer switch...

glad I was not the person who installed original.

(Dunno why these photos have a tendency to rotate themselves?)

:popcorn Guinness
It's your OS on your computer that "helpfully" auto rotates the pictures so you don't know they are stored on your computer upside down. Personally I would turn off that "feature" if my computer tried to do that to me.