Stolen Robin Multifunction Tester

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brightside

Reaction score
Hi all, We are new to this forum. Trying to find out some advice for my boss. We had our tester stolen a while back. I wonder if we could track it down and find out who is using it on their cert, via NICEIC? We have a copy of the serial number etc. Anyone else had the same situation?

Very unlikely as there is no obligation for any electrician(s) to pay to join the NICEIC, The NICEIC have never kept records of all of their members certificates, nor their test equipment , nor any serial numbers of any test equipment. It is purely the contractor and the client who should have copies of certificates and as there is no obligation for any third party to have a copy it would serve no useful purpose to have any physical or digital copies stored by the NICEIC. I would have though it best to just replace the stolen item, claim any insurance payment that is due and just forget the old one.  

Doc H.

A good idea but it won't work

the NIC

A) do not keep records

B) do not care

C) cannot be arshed

data protection act may also kick in

if it has been stolen and not just lost then is it worth contacting Plod?

only thing I can see being a possibility is contacting the Calibration Houses and see if they  can keep an eye out? But I would think that if has been stolen it will not be getting calibrated. More chance of eBay or Cas converters

If you give me the serial number we can check our system to see if we have calibrated it, i can also circulate the number to a few of my 

competitor friends so they can do the same. In the past we have helped folk get testers back, however this has really only happened when

we put in the serial number and we have calibrated it prior and the name is different (hope that makes sense)

Having said that if its a proper Robin multifunction then it must have earned it's keep, they haven't been in business for at least 10 years, i used to work for them prior to the Fluke take over.

If you give me the serial number we can check our system to see if we have calibrated it, i can also circulate the number to a few of my 

competitor friends so they can do the same. In the past we have helped folk get testers back, however this has really only happened when

we put in the serial number and we have calibrated it prior and the name is different (hope that makes sense)

Having said that if its a proper Robin multifunction then it must have earned it's keep, they haven't been in business for at least 10 years, i used to work for them prior to the Fluke take over.
I am still using mine Mark. I have just bought some new test leads as the supplied ones were all but shot. The tester still calibrates well and I prefer it to the company supplied Meggar's.

Any electrician that purchases a known stolen product is a low life scumbag.

Manator said:
I love you Mark

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for this Mark! The serial number is 3330909 Model Number KTS1620. It was last calibrated by a company called Re-Cal, based in Manchester. Cert date 14/01/2013

I know it's a shot in the dark. I hope the thieving sod's slip up as at some point they will have to get it calibrated.   Fingers crossed! ;)

Cheers for all the replies and suggestions. We will see what happens after 'Megger Mark' has circulated the serial number. The insurance company are not being altogether helpful. Problem being (for them), we believe it was one of temp subby's who pinched it. He had use of one of our vans for a week (the one the tester was in) and reckons he went to the van one morning and found it gone, no sign of break in etc :facepalm: ....... He left a few days after! 

I am still using mine Mark. I have just bought some new test leads as the supplied ones were all but shot. The tester still calibrates well and I prefer it to the company supplied Meggar's.

Any electrician that purchases a known stolen product is a low life scumbag.
Totally agree with you there Manator  X(

I found someone's fluke 87v ex and tracked them down via the calibration sticker and got it back to them. They were very pleased and bought us a box of Krispy Kreme's ! :D
Nice one!  :Salute

Not a tester, a few years back  we had 2 drills stolen from a van at Waterloo Station. I was working in the Transport Police office that day, so  reported it. I have my postcode scratched on everything. 2 years later i got a call from Southwark Police Station telling me they that the previous  day they recovered  my drills. A guy was seen walking along the street late at night with them and said he bought them from a guy in a pub.