Setting up a new ipad (copy from Android)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So in the interests of my daughter keeping up with her peers (and NO other reason) we have a shiny new ipad arrived today as her Christmas present. that will no doubt please a lot of the i thingy worshipers on here.

So setting it up for the first time, part way through setup it gives me some choices, like "set up as new ipad" or "copy from Android"

Oh that's interesting, she has an android so it might be good to copy some stuff from that.  So I follow the instructions, download the apple transfer app onto the android and try it.

It starts transfering data, gets to 2% and then aborts "try again later"  If you try again immediately, the android can't find the phone.  Re boot the android and try again, it gets to 2% and aborts.  I don't think this is going to work somehow.

So do I give up this idea and just set it up as a new iphone? how easy is it later to transfer any data between the two?

Or is this a know issue and is there a fix to make it work and transfer data?

I am not proceeding in the setup until I know what to do.

Unless there is something specifically long and complicated that needs transferring then I wouldn't bother. Better as a fresh device set up with a new profile rather than potentially importing loads of irrelevant data. If it was Android to Android or Apple to Apple then I would have said persevere.

Canoeboy said:
Depends how good you are, like everything, mine can open and read pdfs, excel, dots, docs, docx, zips etc etc
I'll send you one, once you figure out how to do it let me know so I can tell the countless customers of mine who are unable to open them. 

I'm glad you guys are able too also, for a moment there I thought I was the only one!!

now didn't we have a mastermind on here that knew everything on Linux based systems?

Canoeboy said:
What ? An iPad ?

You should look for better customers instead of trying to fix their problems !

Is it an Invoice in pdf they are saying they cant open :slap
Its .pdf  certs,

Apparently iThings  can only open 'flat' .pdf's , so some smarto IT engineer technician professor guru told me , :C

And no, I know jack about Linux, I know slightly more about fish suppers, and substantially less about BS7671 :|

Their problems would be easily fixed if they stopped using stoopid iSheepil things,,, :slap

Well I open pdf certs on my iPad, not sure what you are on about TBH?
Have you tried Rutts certs,?

I'll send you one tomorrow, 

Nobody I've ever sent one to could open it on iPad, unless I flatten it first for them.

Its a known issue to Rutts, but something he said isn't an easy workaround for him, and still leave them editable,

I know I can flatten them once I fill them in and lock them, I just CBA tbh,,,, :C