My cooker isn't working

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. I am sure this is "kitchen fitter strikes again"

They are fast fix boxes into plasterboard. A cheap and nasty make of fast fix box in terrible condition. But rather than replace them when re fitting the kitchen with new ones of a decent make, they just stuck the wetwall over the top thus trapping the back box making it nigh on impossible to ever replace them.

It took me about 5 minuted to get the cooker switch back on the wall after re connecting it properly. As noted, one of the original blue lugs has given up the ghost, and the replacement yellow lug is, shall we say a lose fit.

The "fault" that stopped the cooker working was the L out from the cooker switch had come out of the switch. All of the connections were loose and earth sleeving was in short supply. The cooker outlet plate was unbelievably badly wired, with the cables almost out of the terminals hanging on by one or 2 strands. How that never overheated beats me.

The guy that fitted the new consumer unit recently can't have done much inspecting or testing.