How Hive works

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can anyone educate me on how Hive heating control works.

I am aware that there is the hub, the thermostat and the "receiver" / boiler control.

BG have kindly given me a hub, with a couple of controllable lamps. I have acquired a wall mount thermostat, (not the latest type; that's how I got it!)

I see that I can easily acquire a receiver unit, from e-bay or similar. I would now like to try Hive heating control at low cost and with easy reversion if I don't like it.

I'm a retired electrical engineer, and from the limited Hive information I can find, connection of the receiver to the boiler, replacing my existing programmable thermostat, appears straightforward. My combi boiler requires a simple 230 volt ON signal. 

The following points concern me:

Does the thermostat communicate with the "receiver", directly, or via the hub?

If directly, is there any "pairing" procedure for them?

Most sources seem to say the receiver should be adjacent to the boiler. Is there any reason I can't just put it where the programmable thermostat is? 

I understand that if I command the hub to scan it will find all my active devices. If so, what is the security provision that it can't for instance find a neighbour's device?

I believe the stat communicates directly with the receiver, the hub is so you "can control your home with your phone"

But tbh they are just another gimmick to make money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like i said, its just a gimmick to make money. There are easier and better options that cost less.

People keep saying this but it isn't true. There are plenty of use cases where a smart stat will be a useful addition and can assist with energy saving measures.
Hive is just a smart stat linked to internet, like a lot of American products it's more about sales and marekting than actual function, and it looks pretty (if you like big dials on your wall)

Thank you for the replies. I'm just as sceptical about gadgets like this as several of you obviously are. However,  I do like the look of the on-line scheduling, and apparent easy of changing it, whether I'm at home or away. My present programmable stat is a PIA to alter.

As I said, I've already got two of the three elements at minimal cost, so it seems an ideal opportunity to try it for myself. What concerns me is whether when I bring together these items, from disparate sources, they will just work together.

Anyway I've decided to try, and I've ordered a receiver off e-bay for £20. I propose to set it all up on the bench and get it working before connecting it to the CH system.

I'll let you know how I get on. I'm still curious for more details of how it actually works if anyone knows.

Geoff

what concerns me is the security, If you don't have great security on your WiFi then some undesirable could use it to work out your movements and find the best time to break in.

:C
I wouldn't even worry about that. That is a lot of effort and hassle, more than the opportunist would bother with.

If they are going to intercept my broadband they may just as well copy off my holiday and hotel booking e-mails. No, I'm not going to start worrying about that.

Geoff

what concerns me is the security, If you don't have great security on your WiFi then some undesirable could use it to work out your movements and find the best time to break in.

That's over thinking it. It would be much easier to just physically see when I'm not there, and there are more more accurate methods of finding out who is home or not, heating being off doesn't mean no-one is home.

the updating of schedues should be easy, but can take time to register over the internet - my neigbour has a nest and popped around to see what he had done wrong wjen it didn't update very quickly.