Rcd

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pgs electrics

Reaction score
An apprentice asked me today he was testing a ring main with just a mains tester when he put the tester across live and earth the red tripped. But when he put the tester across nuetral to earth the Rcd didn't trip I explained that he needs a proper mft tester and to test properly but he kept asking me why the rcd didn't trip with tester across neutral to earth and I didn't really explain to him why.   Any good explanations to tell him please 

An apprentice asked me today he was testing a ring main with just a mains tester when he put the tester across live and earth the red tripped. But when he put the tester across nuetral to earth the Rcd didn't trip I explained that he needs a proper mft tester and to test properly but he kept asking me why the rcd didn't trip with tester across neutral to earth and I didn't really explain to him why.   Any good explanations to tell him please 

So you didn't explain to him, presumably because you didn't have time, so explain to us?

Before this gets out of hand.............You state you are a time served electrician with test & inspection skills, this means you should really know this as its such a basic thing ?

Now if you were a Diyer or apprentice  then it would be understandable you may not know.

Skills: Domestic, Commercial, Industrial, Hazardous Areas, Inspect &Test ?

Training: Time Served ?

Employment: Self Employed, Employed ?

The only two bits I believe in red.

Latest posts