Hamster Q

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc

Reaction score
My girlfriend's hamster has recently taken to gnawing the bars at night (~4 months ago). His teeth etc are fine, and he used to go through the night no problem at all. When he was little he had a 'gnaw bar' but he just sat on it and chewed higher up the cage. He grew out of it but has started again. X(

Any suggestions? I'm sick of getting up at 2 in the morning and taking his cage off him!

Thanks.

I don't like hamsters for this very reason! They are rodents so their teeth erupt constantly, hence the need to chew. They will chew what they want, not what you want them to chew!

Can you put them in a room and close the door at night? Give them away to a neighbour and get a guinea pig instead?

I wish I had some good advice but basically you're stuffed :D

I don't like hamsters for this very reason! They are rodents so their teeth erupt constantly, hence the need to chew. They will chew what they want, not what you want them to chew!Can you put them in a room and close the door at night? Give them away to a neighbour and get a guinea pig instead?

I wish I had some good advice but basically you're stuffed :D
So knackering him out in the daytime won't work? It's a uni room, so we can't really put him anywhere else! Getting rid of him isn't an option - he gets more attention than I do. X(

Thanks. :D

Hamsters are also nocturnal, so knacking him out in the day time wont work.

You could always try putting a house brick in his cage.

You'd be surprised, them little feckers have strong teeth & a brick does work honest.

Everytime our hamster used to chew the bars i would lightly tap him on the nose, i know it sounds stupid but it seems to have worked, he does sometimes bite or shake:^O the bars on the door, because thats his way of telling us he wants to come out and go in his ball.

We had a hamster once.... they are the most useless pet going bar none!!!!!!!! WTF would anyone want a pet that sleeps all day, then swings from the bars all night keeping you awake???????????????????

We had a hamster once.... they are the most useless pet going bar none!!!!!!!! WTF would anyone want a pet that sleeps all day, then swings from the bars all night keeping you awake???????????????????
An ideal pet for someone who is nocturnal?

Hamsters are also nocturnal, so knacking him out in the day time wont work.You could always try putting a house brick in his cage.
All I need do is echo the above points :D

Everytime our hamster used to chew the bars i would lightly tap him on the nose, i know it sounds stupid but it seems to have worked, he does sometimes bite or shake:^O the bars on the door, because thats his way of telling us he wants to come out and go in his ball.
Tried tapping him on the nose last night....it worked! :D Came close to being bitten though. X(

Apache - the house brick in his cage is safe? I don't want the poor thing breaking his teeth, even though he can be annoying!

Thanks for all the advice. :)

Tried tapping him on the nose last night....it worked! :D Came close to being bitten though. X( Apache - the house brick in his cage is safe? I don't want the poor thing breaking his teeth, even though he can be annoying!

your not suppose to tap him with your fingers thats what the house brick is for :^O :^O:^O:^O:^O :coat

Tried tapping him on the nose last night....it worked! :D Came close to being bitten though. X( Apache - the house brick in his cage is safe? I don't want the poor thing breaking his teeth, even though he can be annoying!

Its the same with dogs, they wee on the floor you rub there nose in it, they dont do it again.

Hamster bites cage, gets tapped on nose, doesnt do it again. :D

Latest posts