From a Horstmann Channel plus H37xl controller to a Hive

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heals

Reaction score
Hello All,

Long time listener first time caller.

I am trying to figure out the wiring for my Hive Active Heating system, Dual Channel

I have a gas combi boiler that is controlled by the Horstmann that has 2 Heat zones and 1 Water 

So, I'm presuming in my setup that the 

Blue is Neutral

Brown is Live

Black is Channel Zone 1 off

G/Y is Channel Zone 2 off

Black is Hot Water off

That's my badly educated guess going by the hortsmann instruction manual http://horstmann.securemeters.com/files/2514/6916/4123/installer_guide_H37XL-ISeries21.pdf

I'm just not sure how to apply this sequence to the Hive, any help would be appreciated...

My current setup is this 
RoFa0iu.jpg.5517e6421f334a731bbadf074543e769.jpg

The Hive wiring is this 
kYXmprf.png.4dd75ceac44e84516bad779ff02c8d10.png

That is the diagram for the controller, there is another add on controller with the same setup, I just forgot to add that to the opening post.

But by your reaction, it fells like I'm intruding here

post the diagram for that too

someone has also used the g/y as a live too, so it should be sleeved brown. and if the new one needs an earth (unlikely, usually double insulated) then you will have other problems

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats what Hive recommends, the dual controller syncs with the single controller via the Hive hub. 

I've tried a few plumbers and electricians to see if they would have a go installing but everyone seems unfamiliar with these systems. My next step will be just returning it and finding an easier solution to my problem. All I need is wireless access to a programmer

using the single channel for zone 1 you want the black from terminal 1 of the existing to terminal 3 of the new one and a link between L and 1

using the dual channel for zone 2 & HW you want g/y  form terminal 3 to terminal 4 and the black from 5 to 3.

both black & g/y should be sleeved brown

both controllers need live & neutral to L & N

if they need an earth you may need additional wiring installed. if the earth terminal is just a parking terminal then your fine

never used hive so idea how the programming side and they link up and work etc so your on your own with that

Thanks for that Andy, i think this needs someone who knows what they are doing, don't want to risk blowing my boiler either

appreciate the feedback