SELV Switches

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 28595

Reaction score
I want to be able to use proper switches in the bathroom - hate pull switches - and came up with this SELV switching unit prototype. Pics and specs below.

All comments appreciated.

Specs

• 4 independent circuits
  • 12v DC control
  • 240v AC switching
  • Disconnect for main circuit testing

Components

• Fibox enclosure with clear lid
  • DIN rail, cut to size
  • Click CT100 junction connector for manual disconnect
  • TDK Lambda DIN mount 12v DC power supply
  • Finder SPDT 12v DC relays
  • Finder DIN mount relay socket

e850626e16.png.b2e2861f727ae295a083cf023fa72345.png

cheers, Paul

Agreed, but "locations allowing" is always the catch. I would have preferred an IP44 switch which didn't look like it belonged in the garage, but they seem to be rarer than hen's teeth.

cheers, Paul

I like it, but I'm probably the wrong target as I make boxes like this all the time for various projects (Omron MY2 relays for me though ;)). I'd use DIN rail terminals though, and flax for the supply rather than T&E if I was making it as a product.

For the most part though, I just stick the switches outside the bathroom, or in the bathroom clear of the relevant zones.

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked the Finder relays because I can get sockets with switching on one side and coil on the other - I like physical separation.

DIN rail terminals would be the go except I can't get the separation in the box. I'd need to use a much bigger box with multiple rails and that is starting to get out of hand.

I've since found a smaller SPDT socket (Finder 95.63SMA) that is much neater, but I have to use a 40.31 series relay to match. Maybe V2.

cheers, Paul

We've fitted quite a few of those Sensorswitches ...always on the back of a tile in the usual light switch position at the door .   Wipe hand across the tile and the light comes on ..  Relay box in the ceiling or loft.