Uninstalling the uninstallable

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just clearing some clutter from "Programmes & Features"    alll going well until I tried to uninstall this .:-

Soft Scan Paperport .

Must have installed it 10 yrs ago , open it up , nothing in there , I never use it ..........try to uninstall ..it says  "This may take some minutes "    10 mins later the progress bar is still trying to push onwards  so I think  sod it I'll "Cancel "  ,  it won't have that ,  then I'm thinking , it's taking over the computer ,  Its accessing the bank account .  

Cannot log off either , so hold in the crash button ,  ,  a box appears saying "But Paper Port is still configuring "  then it goes off . 

So its still there , taking up space , Google says Try using a separate uninstaller  like  Revouninstall .  

Anyone ever had this problem . ?

The free version of Revo is good for removing stubborn programs. Don't forget to backup first, just in case.

cheers, Paul

I know nothing PPP    When you say backup ...do you mean everything , saved to a memory stick or what ?

I'm becoming Meldrewistic with it as it sits there laughing at me .......almost as bad as the car thats been parked outside our house for 8 weeks now .  

Last edited by a moderator:
Backup being a copy of what's on your hard disk to an external disk. You should have a full image for the time your disk fails.

Something like this makes a good repository and it's cheap insurance. You can use the free version of Aomei Backupper, or the included software. Don't forget to store the drive in a secure location away from your computer after the monthly backup.

cheers, Paul

In that case, I will run my pc to safe mood and then uninstall those programs. All done. :)  

I know nothing PPP    When you say backup ...do you mean everything , saved to a memory stick or what ?

I'm becoming Meldrewistic with it as it sits there laughing at me .......almost as bad as the car thats been parked outside our house for 8 weeks now .  
Courgetting car is still there  ...its now September  ....I've Christened it  the Bird Shytte Special. 

Yep did all that a while ago , fully taxed , insured, MOT'd  .

Then I discovered it belongs to my neighbour's son   ,  who I think has lost his licence , he is certainly banned from driving by his Mom  since wrecking his first car , and deciding he didn't need driving lessons or insurance  .  

I have no idea why he would leave  it on the road instead of declaring  SORN  & parking it around the back. 

Latest posts