Heater search

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elc.246

Reaction score
Hi, why do no heaters have a regulator control knob. Like on a cooker with simmerstat.

I see many with 2 elements and they have 3 settings (element 1, element 2 or element 1+2).

Would it not be more convienient to have a requlator that can be finely tuned to the wattage thats required?

Anyway I was wondering weather it is possible and safe to attach/wire in a cooks simmerstat for this dimplex 1000w heater? see links below.

http://www.dimplex.co.uk/products/domestic_heating/portable_heating/multi_purpose_heaters/mph/index.htm

http://megaheaters.com/products/index.php?caturi=simmerstats-energy-regulators

Surely a simmerstat/regulator that is used for those old cooker spiral elements would work exactly the same on this dimplex heater.

I'm not an electrical expert so why would cookers have these simmerstats/regulators but not heaters?

Anyway replies appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum elc.246, I have merged the three threads you started, as they all pretty much relate to the same thing.

Doc H

Why can't you use a 1000w heater?

cheers, Paul
1000w is too much heat. I only need 750w or 700w. I'm looking for silent operation so want the tubular shaped elements and I don't want a thermostat because the shrinking and expanding as it switches on and off causes cracking and bangs. I need a constant 750w or 700w but cant find one, this is why I was wondering about wiring a cooks simmerstat/regulator to the 1000w dimplex heater.

http://www.dimplex.co.uk/products/domestic_heating/portable_heating/multi_purpose_heaters/mph/index.htm

http://megaheaters.com/products/index.php?caturi=simmerstats-energy-regulators

I too don't understand the need for a specific heat output. On a cold day it won't be enough, and on a warm day whatever you are heating will get too hot.

A cooker simmerstat works by turning the heater on and off so will have the same noise issues as a proper room thermostat.  you can get light dimmers up to 1KW so that would do a better job of regulating it.

Out of interest why such a specific heater value?
I've been using a noisy 750w which is just the right temperature for the room during winter, actually a little hot, so I would prefer a 700w heater.

I too don't understand the need for a specific heat output. On a cold day it won't be enough, and on a warm day whatever you are heating will get too hot.

A cooker simmerstat works by turning the heater on and off so will have the same noise issues as a proper room thermostat.  you can get light dimmers up to 1KW so that would do a better job of regulating it.

For absolute silent operation. I currently have a noisy 750w which maintains a comfortable heat on even the coldest days. It only gets a little hotter with warmer days. I only use the heater during winter. In the summer I dont use a heater.

Maybe there are silent simmerstats. Because I need to controll the temp in spring and autumn anyway, or just get a lower watt for spring and autumn.

Don't light dimmers still use the same electricity as the full wattage of the device? So no electricity saved. Just the correct heat output. This would be a waste of money/electricity.

Oil filled will likely click on and off all the time. So too noisy.

Panel heater looks alright but it is too higher wattage so the thermostat will make noise contsantly. Also no mention of the elements are the elements even silent?

I'm trying to create silent heat. Sinse everything else in the room is silent I see no reason to have a constantly clicking and buzzing heater  365  24/7.

I'm trying to create silent heat. Sinse everything else in the room is silent I see no reason to have a constantly clicking and buzzing heater  365  24/7.

Never heard a heater thats constantly making noises - why is the noise such a problem? The occasional on/off from a thermostat surely won't matter

Never heard a heater thats constantly making noises - why is the noise such a problem? The occasional on/off from a thermostat surely won't matter
The heater I have now has very fine elements and they make a constant high pitch buzzing noise. I'm not the only one who finds these noises annoying, I've found posts all over the internet discusing these issues. For example see this forum post about thermostat noise...

https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/silent-thermostat-42535-.htm

-----

I've just been listening to my cooker hobs which have a setting of 0 to 6 and they don't make any noise at all on any level.

If it is possible to control a heater with such cooker knobs, maybe the controls from an old cooker could be removed and built into a box that plugs in to the mains and the heater could be plugged into the box and have 0 to 6 heat settings. I'm not sure if this is safe or possible to do, but that would give a huge amount of control of the heat output from a heater.

Anyone know if this is safe or possible to do? as long as the ratings were right?

I thought maybe a single simmerstat would be most simple as all you do is connect it to the input and output. But if it makes click noises then they would be no good either.

If old spiral formed mineral filled cooker hob elements can have a setting of 0 to 6 then surely a formed mineral filled heater element can be controlled in the same way. Anyone know of such a device available on the market?

Last edited by a moderator: