Replacing halogen spots with fire rated downlighters

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RL19

Reaction score
Hi 

I want to replace the existing halogen spot downlights in a bedroom with fire rated LED downlights. Seems reasonably straightforward as all wiring there so assume all I need to do is take old fitting out and transformer to get back to terminal block in ceiling and then connect new led down lighter to mains wiring as per existing connections?

couple of noddy questions

(1) a lot of led downlights are listed as non dimmable. Presumably that applies to the bulb that comes with the fitting rather than the fitting so if I change the bulb to dimmable it should work?

(2) probably need to change dimmer switch as well to one that works with led. Anything else I need to think about before I order materials?

thanks a lot for your help 

a lot of led downlights are listed as non dimmable. Presumably that applies to the bulb that comes with the fitting rather than the fitting so if I change the bulb to dimmable it should work?

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on the fitting.

probably need to change dimmer switch as well to one that works with led.

Probably, depends on the fitting/lamp.

Anything else I need to think about before I order materials

Loads, cable types. general circuit/wiring arrangements, connection methods.....

Latest posts