Rangemaster trips RCD

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete1234

Reaction score
Hi, customer has a Rangemaster oven that trips RCD when running for 5min, i suspect the element but any advice would be great

Thanks Dave, the oven fan runs perfect, it only trips when heat is applied, 

Would you suggest i order the new element for £20 and take it with me

Hi binky, it's double oven with plate warmer on the right, been stood for a while, I was told by manufacturer to disconnect the cpc and heat up to max, would it be worth trying this first to see if there is damp in the unit 

nurse it on gently, ie low heat setting for half an hour, then up it a bit. I have a rangemaster and the second oven only gets used at Xmas, followed by the missus giving me stick cos it's tripped the RCD. It's just damp not a serious problem, and very annoying. I resolved the Xmas calamities evntually by installing RCBOs so the oven isn't sharing an RCD with anything else.

You could disconnect the cpc, might be quicker.

so you think disconnect the cpc at the oven switch then run the oven on full whack for an hour or so, re-connect the cpc and if it still trips then replace the element, manufacture also mentioned the thermal cutout switch

be very cautious of that, the metal frame of the cooker may well be live. id also like to see proof of the manufacturer telling you to disconnect a CPC and any warning they give with that...

They just told me to have an electrician present to monitor the cooker while it's drying out which would obviously be me, that came from manufacture technical department

I still maintain it's a faulty part. Do some testing. Our 13 year old rangemaster has never tripped the rcd once, even when the "spare" oven gets used occasionally.

I still maintain it's a faulty part. Do some testing. Our 13 year old rangemaster has never tripped the rcd once, even when the "spare" oven gets used occasionally.

same here, almost everytime an element is faulty, heating it to dry it does not work. it may 'fix' it for a few weeks, but it will end up doing the same again

Ok guys so you think forget drying it out and do some I/R tests on the element, to be fair its only 3 screws and you don't have to take the oven out, my thoughts is it's heating up and shorting to earth through the element casing

ok.. so the thing has an earth leakage of exceeding 30ma [or it would not trip the RCD] and ANYONE thinks it a good idea to disconnect the CPC and try it??? The casing will now be at 230V?????? [and at up to 30mA..]

Good luck with that one....

john...

ok.. so the thing has an earth leakage of exceeding 30ma [or it would not trip the RCD] and ANYONE thinks it a good idea to disconnect the CPC and try it??? The casing will now be at 230V?????? [and at up to 30mA..]

Good luck with that one....

john...
It might only be 10mA , and other stuff leaking 6mA, I've seen RCDs trip at 16mA on ramp , and obviously that will pass x1/2 test,

Still, I wouldn't want to be chancing disconnecting the cpc.

Lol so if I just replace the element for £20 should I start there?

Just don't put your tongue on it 😂

same here, almost everytime an element is faulty, heating it to dry it does not work. it may 'fix' it for a few weeks, but it will end up doing the same again
Yes usually an element, but I did find one where the windings of the fan motor were breaking down hence worth mentioning.

Fan runs for ages with no problem, not tested RCD for sensitivity just asking the questions before I go back to site and can't fix it looking like an idiot, would you guys order the parts that it could be and if it's not them just send them back?