Spot the (gas) fault

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Some of you will know I sometimes champion DIY gas work when you are competent to do so.

So I was quite shocked when I came by this on another forum. Work done by a Gas Safe engineer who issued a test certificate with his handywork.

It's just feeding a small gas hob immediately the other side of the wall. The inside bit looks okay.

It bugs me that I know I can do better yet many will tell me I am not qualified to know how to do it, and it bugs me people charge money for shoddy unsafe work like this.

Rant over. How many faults can you see (I have counted 5 so far)

gas_bottle.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
guess time, cos I'm not familiar with gas bottles beyond camping.

1. bottle not tethered / caged

2/ no isolator on the fixed pipe

3/ unsuitable jubilee clips

4/ hose too long - prone to getting kinked

5/ unsuitable pressure regulator.

The piece of copper pipe the rubber hose connects onto is a smaller diameter to the rest of the copper?

Would that restrict flow?

The piece of copper pipe the rubber hose connects onto is a smaller diameter to the rest of the copper?

Would that restrict flow?
Not at all. You don't need a particularly big pipe for a small hob. Our 5 burner hob runs hapilly from 10 metres or so of 10mm pipe.

Can you spot the deliberate mistake in this pic.    Yes It was me  ..I measured carefully where that pipe was  ..went to the other side of the wall and drilled straight through  the pipe.  :C

Image020 (5).jpg

I'm sure Geordie Spark will be along to advise on the use of gaffa tape to fix it. 

Edit : or maybe not seeing as he's on a different forum 😳

Can you spot the deliberate mistake in this pic.    Yes It was me  ..I measured carefully where that pipe was  ..went to the other side of the wall and drilled straight through  the pipe.  :C

View attachment 7938
The original "bulls eye" hole doesn't look to have burst the brick. but I bet you were in such a foul mood when drilling it for the second time.......

I guess that's the profit on that job gone then?

Cost me £40  to get the gas fitter guy out .........and it was right the other side of Brum ... 10 miles of traffic .  

At least I knew where NOT to drill the second time .

View attachment 7938

ive seen better than that. when i was an apprentice the sparky i was working with unknowingly drilled through the gas pipe (switched off at the time, new boiler going in) and fed the 10mm earth through it. plumbers cut the pipe either side and fitted a new bit. the evidence is probably still there...

but yes, raparree, a bit duct tape and itll be fine

So just goes to show tape measures are accurate!

You'd think! Was fitting some wet wall today and something didn't quite add up. Turns out that there was 3 or 4 mm between my tape measure used to measure the gap and the tape measure of the person doing the cutting.

That's probably 2mm blade and 2mm poor workmanship! 

We sort of thought that then checked tape measures. Everything was miles out of square so we might as well not have bothered measuring anything anyway.

And another plumbing fault.

In my own house this last week I have installed the D2 discharge pipe for an unvented cylinder, taking careful note of the regs, size of pipe, number of bends, maintaining a fall etc. Mine has to be done by the book otherwise the building inspector might not like it.

Then on a job this week I see this:

tundish.jpg

Latest posts