Outside light fault from switch fused spur

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leejohnson222

Reaction score
So the fitting is not working it has a inbuilt Pir for some reason the customer wants to turn it off with a switch.

So I fed a switched fused spur and took L, E,N to the fitting. There is no permanent feed connection inside the fitting. Could this just be the fitting ?

So the fitting is not working it has a inbuilt Pir for some reason the customer wants to turn it off with a switch.

So I fed a switched fused spur and took L, E,N to the fitting. There is no permanent feed connection inside the fitting. Could this just be the fitting ?

Just connect to L- N- E   & switch on   , obviously if they switch it off it won't work .

Are you saying you have done this and the light doesn't work ? 

If the light is a new one , you will need to set the little settings screws ...set it to daylight and it should work when you walk about in front of it .

I thought usually a Pir sensor needs a permanent feed. This has not. I thought simply feeding it from the load of a switched spur would be fine. Turn the switch off and no feed. Turn back on and the sensor would work turning on the light.

there will be an L & N to the lamp, it may be hard to find because the wiring colours my be different to / from the pir.

open up the front of the light (if you can) and see what colour are feeding the pins?

TBH you could probably get a 10w led fitting for under a tenner, tail wagging dog methinks.

Sorry of course L N E are a permanent supply but usually with a sensor is there not a L1 so 4 core cable ?

This is a security light with motion sensor only connection is Live neutral earth. I thought the load side of the switch spur would simply make the light work when switched on and disabled the light when the switch spur is off.

Last edited by a moderator:
For some reason  yes customer only wants it on a few nights a week, not every night. So I thought he could turn the switch spur off and it would not work. Override basically. The light is not working at all though.

You are using words wrong. I have no idea what you are trying to do but you need to look at what permanent and override mean, or just call an electrician.

If it has a pir sensor then providing it has power then it will be 'on' every night, but the the lamp will only light when pir activated, override will do what it says on tin, it will override pir and put lamp on perm. If customer wants it totally off a couple of nights then they'll have to de-energise it. 

Me thinks you may need to re think the type of fitting you've put up? 

What have you promised the customer?

If the customer doesn't want the PIR to work everyday then you need to feed it from a fused spur and then THEY have to turn it on and off as necessary....... sounds like you have got yourself into a corner ......

What have you promised the customer?

If the customer doesn't want the PIR to work everyday then you need to feed it from a fused spur and then THEY have to turn it on and off as necessary....... sounds like you have got yourself into a corner ......
This is exactly what I have done, fed a switched fused spur, then on the load side  of the spur fed the outside light. The outside light doesn't work. I'm just wondering if I did something wrong or the fitting is faulty just a cheap wickes light the customer bought. The customer doesn't want the light to work every night.

Well as previously said have you adjusted the small usually plastic dials with a fine blade screwdriver. If you haven't then a)you haven't tested light, b) you haven't set up the light. 

Suggest you read the instructions for light first, then follow setup procedures.