Switchmaster mid-position valve - wiring diagram needed

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandsawman

Reaction score
Hi all,

this is my first post, so please go easy on me...

I'm trying to understand how my central heating system is wired - I'm nearly there, but I need to see a wiring diagram for my Switchmaster mid-position valve.

I've found that most valves of this type have 4 wires plus an earth - this one has 5 wires plus an earth.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks, Mike.

I'm trying to understand how my central heating system is wired

Why exactly? The Switchmaster system is a one of a kind sort of thing. If you are doing anything to the heating system I would just pull it out and replace with a normal 3 port valve. You can leave the existing wiring as it is and add a couple of links, it's been a few years since I've touched one though.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Motorised_Valves#Switchmaster if you really want to know what the wires do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm putting a Nest thermostat in, but the wiring diagram that comes with it only shows a 5 wire valve. 

I'm pretty sure that I've worked out how to do it now though - I found a table online that shows which colour wires on a 5 wire valve relate to which colour wires on a 6 wire valve. And the red and orange wires on my valve need shorting. 

But I'd still like to see a wiring diagram for it. 

I'm putting a Nest thermostat in, but the wiring diagram that comes with it only shows a 5 wire valve. 

And? You aren't touching the valve, just fit the Nest in place of the programmer and link the existing stat out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts