PAT testing recommendations - letting agent

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ray-bentos

Reaction score
Hello

We hold a contract with a local letting agent who has approx. 450 houses. They are wanting us to start a PAT testing program across these and I have negotiated some not too bad prices so it is definitely worthwhile us completing this as it is also a foot in the door for further faults we find at premises, which is always a bonus.

Prior to this we have just been completing PAT testing (PA testing, in service inspection, whatever they call it these days) alongside EICRs as an added value item so have just been using a Kewtech patadaptor.

However with the advent of 450 properties a year to complete, I'm looking to invest in one or possibly 2 proper testers to enable us to complete this work. As we are not testing anything 'out of the ordinary' and volumes are not huge, we really need a solid tester but speed/ease of use are probably the main concerns.

I would be of the thinking that battery powered (with option of mains for proper leakage tests) would be the best course of action?

I have seen the Seaward Primetest 250+ which looked pretty good, seems to do everything we'd need of it and is fast, simple to use and lightweight/not bulky. Does this come up with the stupid Seaward calibration message like on the Europas?

I was always a fan of FLUKE gear, but the 6500-2 looks expensive and a 2nd hand 6500 still looks a bit overkill perhaps for the work we would be doing. Do you think that we really *need* anything with downloadable memories? We use Easycert amongst ourselves (all 2 of us & a labourer) on tablets which sync with the computer. Do you think we could make this work with a non downloadable kit and easyPAT?

Any other help appreciated
James

I would be of the thinking that battery powered

I don't think I've ever seen a battery powered portable appliance tester.

Do you think that we really *need* anything with downloadable memories?

I'd not even hesitate to get a downloadable one. I only used to do the odd few tests but I still had a downloading tester. Whizz round on site and test, get back to the office and then pretty much just print the results and attach to invoice. The barcodes and scanner are also worth looking at. It does seem overkill, but then why not? You can get the cheapest you can and do a lot of it manually or you can get the bells and whistles and do it the easy way. There is no right and wrong.

TBF I haven't looked, but if there is a such a thing surely it is only of limited use as you wouldn't be able to do the full tests, like leakage for one?

They do a 'substitute leakage test' with some low figure DC, however apparently it is plausible under the COP, if a little inaccurate.

The primetest 250+ plugs in for the leakage tests anyway, I will at least get one that ALSO plugs in, purely battery doesn't appeal to me.

With regards barcodes and scanners this thought did cross my mind, ultimately I have negotiated a semi decent price (to my mind) however same as any piece work PA(t) testing, speed is the only way to make any money.  I'm not a sticker monkey or a fan of skipping on actual testing (or inspection for that matter), but paperwork is a time that must be included too and being able to download and go (including scanning on site etc...) is time saved, big time..

They do a 'substitute leakage test' with some low figure DC, however apparently it is plausible under the COP, if a little inaccurate.

So like the D-Lok/No-Trip test thing then, in other words useless!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just can't see it. How many 3kW heaters can you test on a single charge?

I was wrong about the low current DC for the substitute leakage, the figures are as follows:

Equivalent Leakage Class I

Test Voltages40V AC Nominal

Display Range0.10mA - 19.99mA

Pass Value0.75mA

Equivalent Leakage Class II

Test Voltages40V AC Nominal

Display Range0.10mA - 19.99mA

Pass Value0.25mA

This is a lower spec 'battery only' one, however a machine of this low spec was not on the list of potentials for me

How in gods name this is accurate without powering the machine up, who knows

This is a lower spec 'battery only' one, however a machine of this low spec was not on the list of potentials for me

I still don't think I'd even consider a battery one. If you are doing appliance testing you are going to be somewhere where power is available so I don't see the benefit, especially as the tests are not equal. The only reason I could see a battery being useful is to keep the processor alive between tests if you are moving from room to room, but again it was probably 10 years ago since I bought mine and the boot time wasn't all that slow, but you did try and set yourself up in a central location to save a few seconds here and there, soon adds up!

Fair point you have there.  My somewhat dated experience of using a 'proper' tester was a seaward Europa plus, that thing was heavy and cumbersome, but could be relied upon to give solid reliable results time after time. 

Anyone else have any experience of the newer testers they can add to the mix?

Latest posts