Power of cu

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dertt

Reaction score
I was given a cu with an power rating of 100 amps rcd(brand new)

now I am running an armoured 6mm cable from the cu in the house off a 32amp mcb.the new cu in my man cave is also a split load 2 rcds with 63amp breakers on them.i will not be using more than 4000 watts at any one time.is this cu ok to use or should I get a smaller one before the spark comes around to test it.it was free though.bought from screwfix.

So .... you've found a mug to test and sign off YOUR install...... be prepared to make the changes he recommends..........before he will sign it off.

Well no.he is overseeing it at various stages and advising as I go.i was just asking about the cu before he comes around really.

There's so much wrong with your understanding of electrics it would probably be best to get your electrician round before doing anything at all, and then maybe he can teach you all about it.

This is what is happening.he is a friend of mine and is teaching me along the way.thanks for your reply.

Very common misconception.

the A rating of the RCD is the amount of current that can safely be handled by the device before it gets all, hot and  moody before bursting into flames and causing irreparable damage to,the time continuum

the mA rating is how much fault current can be passed before it trips

tye RCD is NOT an overcurrent device...It will just get hotter and hotter

the local Council,did not understand this and started to fit EVERY council,property with a 32A 30 mA  RCD and no overcurrent protection

I was not overly popular when I suggested their chief 'engineer' RTFM and then try to get himself a job on the bins :innocent

Luckily they had only done a couple,of hundred

no need for that Murdoch, it's not like the poster is trying to hide anything.

So his mate who is a spark is over seeing the project (declared in post #5) yet the OP is planning to put a dual RCD CU in his man cave........ so the spark is obviously not hands on

My mate hasn't seen the cu yet.why would I be asking questions about the cu if he had.i was just going to change it if I had the answer from this site to save changing it during his visit.i think that murdoch thinks he's "captain sparky"the super hero electrician.

the A rating of the RCD is the amount of current that can safely be handled by the device before it gets all, hot and  moody before bursting into flames and causing irreparable damage to,the time continuum

the local Council,did not understand this and started to fit EVERY council,property with a 32A 30 mA  RCD and no overcurrent protection

I was not overly popular when I suggested their chief 'engineer' RTFM and then try to get himself a job on the bins :innocent

Thanks for your information.

I went to do a shower change last week, installed by bathroom fitting company that did bathroom about 8 years ago,

63A 30mA RCD protected,!  :eek:

I'm back next week to change the shower and fit an RCBO,

It's quite a common issue. Did a board change a bit ago and the shower was (badly) tapped from the busbar in a Crabtree C50 board and fed via a 40A RCD. This was installed about 3 years ago..

I went to do a shower change last week, installed by bathroom fitting company that did bathroom about 8 years ago,

63A 30mA RCD protected,!  :eek:

I'm back next week to change the shower and fit an RCBO,

It's quite a common issue. Did a board change a bit ago and the shower was (badly) tapped from the busbar in a Crabtree C50 board and fed via a 40A RCD. This was installed about 3 years ago..
I just swapped the cu for a garage one which is 40a rcd.the last one was over the top.thanks for all your replies and being helpful except for that complete Tomatoe'd called murdoch who I believe has issues.i think he really works on the bins.

With the greatest of respect it is clear you don't know the first thing about electrics and your attitude is appalling. Just because an electrician tells you you have no idea what you or your mate or doing does not mean he "works on the bins".

except for that complete Tomatoe'd called murdoch who I believe has issues.i think he really works on the bins.

I don't work on the bins and I don't feel it appropriate to hand out detailed information, on the internet, to any Tom, Dick or Dertt.....

So do you now have 2 x RCD's in series?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't work on the bins and I don't feel it appropriate to hand out detailed information, on the internet, to any Tom, Dick or Dertt.....

So do you now have 2 x RCD's in series?
Look,I haven't handed out information on the internet because I do not know you and everyone with a bit of common sense would realise that.we are miles apart and this is obvious.i was only being sarcastic as you were on your first post.i am not an electrician but I am quite interested in it because I feel it's a very skilled job.i have been a chippy all my life and fancied a change.

the answer to your question is that I have bought a metal cu with a 40a rcd,1 32amp mcb and 1 6amp mcb.this is really all I needed in the beginning.the most I will be pulling at one time is 4kw.

ok?

With the greatest of respect it is clear you don't know the first thing about electrics and your attitude is appalling. Just because an electrician tells you you have no idea what you or your mate or doing does not mean he "works on the bins".
You absolute drama queen.we all know he doesn't work on the bins!!!why would he be on here!!

i was being sarcastic,the same as he was replying to me.i KNOW I have very little knowledge of electrics and that's why I ask questions about it.i am interested and have respect for tradespeople like yourselves.really!?just grow up you sensitive soul.

Status
Not open for further replies.