So thats why some people don't like domestic electrics.....

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPECIAL LOCATION

Trailer Boy - Electrician.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So..

you roll back the carpet to find 2ft x 8ft  sheets of tongue and groove chip-board.... :| :C

After a bit of selective cutting with suitable electric cutting device you carefully lift a section of board thinking oh great..

I lifted that without if splintering in the middle!

but then you look at what it has revealed...

The original floor has just been "raised up" to meet the height of the new extension floor!!!!......

Arghhhhhhh...............

IMG_4519.JPG

Don't you just love "ex-builders" houses!

Last edited by a moderator:
errrmmmm,   :Blushing

I kinda feel for whoever ever next lives in my house now,

after the mess the heating guys left of our floors , (before we moved in), I have had to overboard all upstairs with 3/4" to get it level,

still, shouldn't need rewired for a good 241 years hopefully, I've used pyro everywhere, ;)   :slap

now that is a situation I haven't been lucky enough to find :^O

Worst I've come across was some over-keen carpet fitters, board over floorboards stapled by someone who clearly liked using one of those hammer-type staplers. Underlay glued to board and carpet glued to underlay. After 60mins trying to peel back a small section of carpet, I gave up.

This sort of thing is exactly why I don't like domestic!

I lifted a bedroom floor to fit some downlights in the kitchen extension below and the flat roof was still there, complete with the gravel & moss/leaves!

I found something like that once. Had some downlights to fit in a kitchen. Went upstairs into the bedroom above the kitchen, great, floor boards. Lifted a couple of boards to then find a layer of bitumen impregnated chipboard. Went outside for a look. Yes it used to be a flat roofed single storey kitchen and someone had just stuck a "box" on top to make a bedroom

Bitumen impregnated chipboard just jams the teeth of your multi cutter blade. Horrible stuff.

EDIT: Lurch beat me to it. At least on my job they had removed the gravel and muck.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not only domestic!

one of my best clients ( 3 floor office block, 2000 sqm per floor). Raised Access panel floor throughout. The better quality forms have the Carpet tile bonded to the individual,panel so it comes out as a unit.....click spiky Norman on it, hit the handle, lift the tile, 15 seconds max. NOT here!...floor tiles 6x6, carpet tiles 5x5. It was a pain moving floor boxes originally as you needed at least 4/6 new carpet tiles every time as they had been cut around the floor box. Then they got it re carpeted!,  OMFG, they used the wrong glue...think two pack epoxy instead of Post It note glue. All glue flowed down between tiles. It now takes about 20 mins to lift a tile.  Destroy Carpet tiles, go around edge with Stanley knife, leather the beejayzus out of tile for q few mins with a rubber mallet. Put 2 3" /10 screws through thecorners of the  steel clad timber floor panels until,they hit the floor pedestals. Tighten each screw slowly until,it starts lifting the tile in a 'reverse jack' type action, whilst at the same time leathering it again and freeing the glue with Stanley knife. Jam Scousers door key ( 9" crow bar) under tile, stamp on door key, lift tile, repeat

it is quite annoying 

I had exactly the same issue on a job, seems the carpet fitters ran out of tackifier so used some contact adhesive for the last part of one floor. Took a full day to get the last few tiles up.

Never had a job where the floor tiles are the same size as the carpet tiles though, but it's never been an issue if the tiles are fitted properly.

The tiles under the chairs are usually the worst to get up, constant rollering seems to make it really stick no matter what adhesive is used.

Never had a job where the floor tiles are the same size as the carpet tiles though, but it's never been an issue if the tiles are fitted properly.
These were/are a complete factory made unit. The Carpet tile is bonded to,the floor panel in the factory. The better ones used in Comms rooms are a totally steel,encased chipboard panel about 40mm thick. Carpet tile on top,then tile edge is protected with a plastic trim. Mounted on adjustable steel pegs. Cheapest.....just chipboard panel, mounted on laminated wooden pads. Just rive off the bit of ped that you don't want...trouble is all the panels are screwed to the LEDs so an impact drill,is essential...unless the muppet used nails! That does not end well

A couple of crackers from a few years back,first one.

Following the IRA bombing in Manchester's Arndale Centre, I was called out to an adjacent office building that were having electrical problems, it was a typical office block and running up a service void was a large trunking, filled with cables that appeared to be Varnished Cambric, they were well past the use by date, major rewire time!

I spoke to the owners of the building about how bad it was and the only solution was to rewire it and it was not going to be either quick or cheap.

"Oh I see" exclaimed the guy "well look can't we say the damage was caused by the bomb blast and bang a claim in?". The company in question was a large firm of solicitors!

Second one, A mate's daughter buys a house and after a particularly snowy night he rings me and asks if I can go round before the snow melts, mystified I jump in the car and head round to the address. he leads me upstairs into her bedroom," I want to show you something", ooh err missus, I thought, anyway he points out of her window to a flat roofed kitchen extension, it's covered in about 4 inches of snow, except that there are about a dozen circular clear patches, "seen anything like that before?" he asks, I shake my head, "well look at this" we head downstairs into the kitchen, it's lit by a dozen 50watt downlights. "the bulbs blow on an almost weekly basis" he tells me, "I didn't want to waste your time and last night she spotted the holes in the snow".

I removed a fitting, there was a shade under 4 inches between the plasterboard and the roof and it was rammed full of fibreglass, no wonder the snow was melting, I removed a load of the stuff, it was packed solid, and replaced the lamps with LED's, problem solved.

he points out of her window to a flat roofed kitchen extension, it's covered in about 4 inches of snow, except that there are about a dozen circular clear patches, "seen anything like that before?" he asks, I shake my head,

I've seen this many times before, the insulation would have made no difference. We have fitted them and cleared the insulation which obviously means the heat melts the snow anyway. the lamps might run hotter wrapped in insulation but the insulation will insulate the lamps/heat from the flat roof so the end result should be the same.